Paul Sieben, Head of O’Melveny’s Silicon Valley office, represents all stages of technology companies as well as numerous venture capital firms and investment banks. Paul’s practice is focused on corporate and securities law and has extensive experience with transactions in which he represents companies and investors in venture capital financings, mergers and acquisitions, early liquidity transactions, spin-offs and buyouts, recapitalizations, public equity offerings and private debt transactions.
Paul has served as lead counsel on hundreds of venture capital, angel and private-equity financings, more than a hundred M&A transactions of all sizes, and a significant number of recapitalizations, public offerings and other transactions — many on behalf of, or opposite, major tech companies.
Much of Paul’s practice stems from his startup company practice, where he handles formation, founder-related matters, seed investments and venture capital financings for early-stage companies and then continues to represent them in various matters including later stage financings, M&A and corporate governance matters as they grow into larger private and public companies.
His clients include companies in a wide range of technology markets, including security, storage, mobile, gaming, cloud, big data, software, wearables, media, social, Internet and clean technology. Paul also has significant cross-border experience, particularly with Cayman entities doing business in China.
Paul has been recognized by several publications for his work, including, the International Financial Law Review 1000 (which has named Paul one of its leading lawyers for private equity), Legal 500 US (which has recognized him as a leading lawyer in its Venture Capital and Emerging Companies category, citing the “extraordinary support” he provides to clients and his ability to “produce very high-quality work on short timelines”) and Super Lawyers’ “Rising Stars” list of Northern California’s best young attorneys in the area of Mergers & Acquisitions.
Prior to joining O’Melveny, Paul was an associate in the Palo Alto office of Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison.
- Formation, financing, and ultimate $260 million sale of cybersecurity company
- $800 million financing and related tender offer of private social media company
- $200 million financing of a leading mobile payments company
- $200 million sale of advanced authentication company
- Formation, financing and ultimate sales of multiple social media, e-commerce and enterprise software companies to the world’s largest public and private Internet and software companies
- Spin-out, financing, public offering and sale of authentication device and software provider
- Private-equity buyouts of international and domestic data center switching, health-care services, solar and telecommunications companies
- Multiple joint venture transactions involving clean technology companies
- $350 million sale of private data-loss prevention company
- Multiple Nasdaq public offerings of flash memory company
- $270 million Nasdaq initial public offering of a U.K. automation company
- Multiple PIPE transactions and Nasdaq public offerings for storage and data backup company
- University of California, Los Angeles, J.D., 1998: Order of the Coif; Corpus Juris Secundum Awards in Tort Law and Civil Procedure
- University of California, Santa Barbara, B.A., 1995: High Honors; Dean’s List
- California Bar Association
Rate : $$$$