Paul D. Tripodi II is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where his practice focuses on intellectual property litigation, including patent litigation, contract disputes involving intellectual property, and trade secret misappropriation.
He has been involved in both bench and jury trials, as well as proceedings before various international tribunals and the International Trade Commission (ITC).
Paul specializes in complex litigation involving multiple patents, counter-claims of infringement, RAND licensing obligations, foreign counterpart litigation, and competitor-to-competitor litigation. He has litigated matters involving a broad range of technologies, including the following:
- Medical devices, instrumentation, methods, and biologic materials relating to spinal surgery as lead counsel on behalf of NuVasive.
- Software and electronics relating to video game technology, smartphones, graphical user interfaces, geolocation and mapping, wireless navigation, authentication and encryption, integrated circuits, power management/voltage regulation, and circuit board manufacturing on behalf of multinational companies such as Microsoft, Research In Motion (Blackberry), International Game Technology (IGT), and others.
- BRCA-1 and BRCA-2 genetic testing as lead counsel on behalf of Pathway Genomics in multi-district litigation brought by Myriad Genetics.
- Compounds related to peptide hormones released into the bloodstream by the β-cells of the pancreas on behalf of the University of Minnesota and Swedish inventor Dr. Per Westermark.
- Monoclonal antibodies produced by recombinant DNA technology and used in the prevention of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infection on behalf of Genentech Corporation.
- Electroluminescent phosphors and materials incorporating the same on behalf of a 3M subsidiary, Durel Corporation.
- Rubber compounding, polyurethane chemistry, and a variety of physical and chemical technologies relating to golf ball manufacturing on behalf of Callaway Corporation.
- Chemical processes for the desulfurization of flue gas on behalf of Joy Manufacturing.
Paul’s litigation experience is complemented by his experience with the preparation and prosecution of patent and trademark applications, as well as his continued involvement as an instructor and conference organizer in connection with matters related to intellectual property litigation and trial tactics.
Prior to joining the firm, Paul was a partner in the Los Angeles office of Sidley Austin LLP, where he was a member of the West Coast intellectual property and technology practice.Paul is certified as a Pro Bono Publico Prosecutor on behalf of the State of California and serves as a volunteer prosecutor in criminal matters on an ongoing basis.
While in law school, he served as an extern in the Office of the Assistant General Counsel for Intelligence and International Affairs in the Department of Defense at the Pentagon.
- J.D., UCLA School of Law, 1992
- M.S., Chemical Physics, California Institute of Technology, 1989
Conducted research into ultrafast chemical reaction dynamics under the direction of Professor Ahmed H. Zewail, recipient of the 2000 Nobel Prize in Chemistry
- B.S., Chemistry, Pennsylvania State University, 1987
With Honors and Distinction; Member, University Scholars Program; Conducted independent research in laser spectroscopy under the direction of Professor Robert Bernheim
ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS:
- Member, Intellectual Property Section, American Bar Association
- Member, California Bar Association
- Fellow, Los Angeles County Bar Foundation, 2002-present
- Member, The Judge Paul R. Michel Intellectual Property American Inn of Court, 2008-2011
- Director, Los Angeles County Bar Foundation, 2007-2011
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association: President, 2005-2006; Vice President/President-Elect, 2004-2005; Secretary, 2003-2004; Treasurer, 2002-2003; and Board of Directors, 1998-2002
- Chair, Education Committee, American Intellectual Property Law Association, 2001-2003
- Chair, Young Lawyers Committee, American Intellectual Property Law Association, 1999-2001
- Member, Barristers Board of Directors, Los Angeles County Bar Association, 2002-2003
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Supreme Court
Rate : $$$