Pedro A. Freyre is the chair of Akerman’s International Practice, a full-service team advising multinational and global corporations on a wide range of cross-border M&A, joint ventures, capital markets transactions, syndicated and secured lending, project finance, debt restructuring, trade, compliance, as well as complex construction and other international disputes.
Pedro is an internationally recognized authority on the U.S. Embargo on Cuba and the evolving regulations enacted since the restoration of diplomatic relations between the United States and Cuba. With his years of dedication to developing a Cuba-related practice at the firm, sources confirm that “[Pedro] is very knowledgeable of OFAC regulations and the Helms Burton Act.”
Pedro advises U.S.-based companies on the types of business transactions that are legal in Cuba under the U.S. embargo, helps U.S. entities that are engaged in authorized activities in connection with entering the Cuban market, and advises foreign entities that are involved in Cuba business on implications with U.S. law.
He regularly travels to Cuba with senior executives of companies seeking to enter the Cuban market for facilitated meetings with government officials. Pedro is a Lecturer of Law at Columbia University School of Law, where he teaches a seminar on Cuba. He is a regular guest on CNN en Español, “Fuentes Confiables.”
In addition, Pedro represents clients engaged in inbound foreign investment in the U.S. and outbound U.S. investment in Latin America. His work includes project construction and financing involving governmental and private entities in Latin America, Europe, and Africa, acquisitions and dispositions, environmental regulation, international transactions, cross-border due diligence, insurance regulation, and corporate representation. He regularly provides compliance counseling and training in connection with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
- J.D., University of Miami School of Law, 1974
- B.A., University of Miami, 1971, magna cum laude
Bar Admissions : Florida
Professional Experience :
- Columbia University School of Law, Lecturer
- University of Miami School of Law, Adjuncty Professor
- Mapfre Insurance Group, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Florida
- Dow Chemical Latin America, General Counsel & Director of Government and Public Relations
- Florida International University School of Law International LL.M. Program, Adjunct Professor
- Cuban-American Bar Association, Member
- U.S. Cuba Business Council for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Florida International University, School of International and Public Affairs, Board Member
- Engage Cuba Policy Council, Advisor
- The Practical Lawyer, Editorial Board Member
- Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, Cuba Committee, Immediate Past Chairman
- Florida Insurance Council, Past Member
- Florida Immigrant Advocacy Center, Past Board Member and Treasurer
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Vice-Chair Tax Section, 2008-2009
Rate : $$$$