An eminent intellectual property attorney with more than 30 years of experience, Perla M. Kuhn provides her clients with a practical approach to the protection and enforcement of their intellectual property rights in both domestic and foreign markets.
Perla regularly handles trademark, copyright, licensing, anti-counterfeiting, gray market, false advertisement, unfair competition, and domain name issues, including :
- Representing clients in trademark matters before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and in federal court litigation
- Assisting U.S. and international companies in devising strong trademark portfolios in both domestic and foreign markets and advising on the applicability of international agreements
- Negotiating intellectual property agreements, including trademark licensing, coexistence, settlement, co-branding, sponsorship and distribution agreements
- Representing trademark owners before U.S. Customs and Border Protection, obtaining exclusion of gray market goods and destruction of counterfeit goods
Representative Matters :
- Defending distributor of famous Norwegian cheese brand in trademark and trade dress infringement claims
- Represented European owner of well-known trademark in opposition to registration of identical mark for diamonds
- Drafted and negotiated an exclusive U.S. distribution agreement for an Italian wine cooperative
- Representation of a Japanese company in the registration and enforcement of trademarks in the fields of energy and electric systems, industrial automation systems, information and communication systems, electronic devices and home appliances
- Representation of an Argentine company in connection with the import and sale of wine under various brands.
Prior to joining Fox, Perla served as co-chair of the Intellectual Property Department and Chair of the Trademark Group in the New York Office of an international law firm.
Active in the legal community, Perla has held varying positions with numerous organizations, including many with INTA. She was also appointed to the Industry Trade Advisory Committee on Intellectual Property Rights (ITAC-15) by the Secretary of Commerce and the United States Trade Representative.
- University of Cordoba School of Law, Cordoba Argentina (LL.B.)
- Tulane University Law School(Masters of Comparative Law)
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (Masters of Laws)
- New York University School of Law (J.D.)
- Named to the World Trademark Review 1000, 2017
- Industry Trade Advisory Committee on Intellectual Property Rights, 2010-2014
- INTA, Panel of Neutrals, 2009-present
- Accredited Mediator, Mediate Art, Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, New York City
- Vice President and Director, Argentine-American Chamber of Commerce, New York City
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
BAR ADMISSIONS : New York
Rate : $$$$