Peter M. Ellis concentrates on complex commercial and business litigation and advises clients concerning a wide variety of business related disputes and corporate transactions. His practice includes the representation of national and multi-national clients in the areas of franchise, licensing and distribution, product liability, retail, unfair competition, trademark, trade secrets and other intellectual property claims, contract disputes, employment counseling and defense, and defending consumer related claims.
Peter also handles complex internal investigations for corporate clients in the US and abroad. He has significant experience in corporate franchise and distribution law and representing technology companies, truck and parts manufacturers, chemical and performance materials companies in various business disputes and transactions.
Peter often serves as coordinating counsel in connection with domestic and international representations, including a wide variety of employment, corporate governance, health care and financial services matters and real estate transactions.
Additionally, Peter represents private equity funds, hedge funds, international funds, family offices and financiers (and other portfolio companies) in various types of domestic and cross-border transactions and disputes. He also advises boards of directors and management teams on a routine basis.
Peter is the national Chair of Reed Smith’s Complex Litigation Group (“CLG”), which specializes in business and corporate disputes, class action and multi-district litigation, litigation strategy and management, managed care, mass and toxic torts, and product liability.
The CLG provides comprehensive solutions for clients facing a multitude of litigation, from general litigation to major exposure and “bet the company” litigation. Peter also serves as a member of Reed Smith’s Executive Committee, the Firm’s global governing board, where he chairs the Clients and Markets Committee.
Peter speaks regularly on global supply chain issues, privilege, data breach response, improving collegiality and the value of mentoring and diversity within the legal profession. Peter dedicates significant time to professional, civic and pro bono matters.
- Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.
Professional Admissions & Qualifications : Illinois
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of Ohio
Professional Affiliations :
- The Economic Club of Chicago, Membership Committee (Current)
- Chicago United Business Leaders of Color, Honoree (2017)
- Advisory Board, Institute for Inclusion in the Legal Profession (2011 – present)
- Chair, Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority (Appointed by Governor Quinn 2011 – 2014)
- Council Member, Juvenile Justice Leadership Council (2012 – 2014)
- Fellow, ABA Section of Litigation 2005 – 2006 Young Lawyer Leadership Program
Rate : $$$