Peter Finch is a labor and employment attorney who joined the firm after almost 15 years with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). At Davis Wright Tremaine, Peter represents private and public sector employers in labor negotiations, arbitrations, and proceedings before administrative agencies.
Peter counsels employers across a broad spectrum of industries regarding union avoidance and how to effectively respond to organizing campaigns. Peter also helps employers comply with local ordinances and state and federal laws related to minimum wage and labor standards and benefits.
Peter’s diverse experience with the NLRB and defense of employers gives him a unique perspective for addressing federal labor law issues, including unlawful picketing, strike misconduct, and unions’ bad faith in contract negotiation.
Peter is also committed to helping employers avoid and mount defenses to alleged unfair labor practices, including allegations of bad faith bargaining, retaliatory discharges, and maintaining overbroad rules and policies.
In his practice, Peter advises employers in the health care, manufacturing, service, utilities, and retail industries through all phases of collective bargaining, including:
- Negotiating first contracts; as well as successor agreements and mid-term adjustments that protect employer flexibility and reflect a realistic interpretation of the labor market for that particular industry
- Effectively communicating and affecting change within the context of a collective bargaining relationship and adjusting operations and staffing in dynamic economic conditions
- Interpreting and enforcing contracts
- Arbitrating grievances arising out of terminations, discipline, and contract interpretation matters
- Field Attorney, NLRB, 1997-2001, 2007-2012
- Staff Attorney, NLRB Office of the General Counsel, Division of Advice, 2001-2007
Professional & Community Activities:
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association, 2013 PCLELC Planning Committee
- Board of Directors; Governance Committee Chair – King County Library System Foundation
- Former Member, Board of Directors; Former Chair, Finance Committee – Youth Theatre Northwest
- Board of Directors (President); Coach – Mercer Island Women’s Lacrosse Club, 2008-2014
- J.D., Seattle University School of Law, 1997, cum laude
- B.A., Writing/Media, Loyola University of Maryland, 1990
Rate : $$$