Peter Hays is a transactional oil and gas lawyer. He represents companies and entrepreneurs in upstream, midstream, and downstream hydrocarbons transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and project development. Pete practices both domestically and internationally, and is board certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
In his mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures practice, Pete works on all types of acquisitions and divestitures of hydrocarbon assets, including the sale of mineral interests, oil and gas leases, government concessions and PSCs, gathering and processing systems, pipelines and capacity on pipelines and refineries, both in the US and internationally.
He advises on asset deals, carried or promoted interests, farmouts, joint ventures/development arrangements, equity investments, and financial/lending arrangements.
Internationally, Pete also assists clients with structuring and negotiation of country-entry investments, including analysis of legal regimes and stakeholder issues. In his project development practice, Pete works on field unitizations, LNG liquefaction and regasification projects, processing and refining plants, fuel supply for power projects, hydrocarbon and refined product offtake arrangements and the development and commercialization of hydrocarbon discoveries.
He regularly advises clients on gathering, processing, and transportation arrangements for hydrocarbons, and the long-term sale/supply of oil, gas, natural gas liquids and LNG.
Pete has worked as the main commercial lawyer at a start-up oil and gas company, where he dealt with the types of issues that often face oil and gas entrepreneurs, like financing, systems and compliance. Before entering private practice, Pete clerked for Chief Judge Hayden Head of the US District Court for the Southern District of Texas, and in law school at the University of Texas he was a research clerk for Professor Ernest E. Smith, Rex G. Baker Centennial Chair in Natural Resources Law.
- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law
- B.A., The University of Texas at Austin
- Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law, by Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Editor, Chambers Global Practice Guide – Energy: Oil and Gas
- Member and Advisory Board, Institute for Energy Law
- Member, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Member, Independent Petroleum Association of America
- Member, Independent Petroleum Association of New Mexico
- Member, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Member, State Bar of Texas
Rate : $$$$