Peter A. Laveran is a U.S. corporate partner who recently spent more than a decade in Covington’s London office and is a vice chair of the firm’s Corporate Group. His broad-based transactional practice is largely international and he has particular transactional experience in the life sciences and media and communications industries.
Mr. Laveran focuses on domestic and complex cross-border acquisitions and divestitures for private equity investors and emerging and mature companies headquartered in the U.S., Europe, and Asia, including Altice, GlaxoSmithKline, Indivior, Itochu, Magticom, Meda AB, and Merck & Co. Inc.
Mr. Laveran led the Covington team advising Altice in its $9.1 billion acquisition of Suddenlink and the $1 billion co-investment by funds advised by BC Partners and Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in Cablevision Systems Corporation; Meda AB in in all of its significant U.S. acquisition and divestiture activity in recent years, including the acquisitions of Acton Pharmaceuticals, MidNite, and a collection of women’s health products from Jazz Pharmaceuticals; Indivior in its demerger from Reckitt Benckiser; Itochu in the sale of PrimeSource Building Products, Inc. to Platinum Equity; funds managed by HealthpointCapital, LLC in the merger of Scient’x Groupe SAS with Alphatec Holdings, Inc.; and Magticom in its acquisition of retail and corporate ISP cable assets from Caucasus Online LLC.
Mr. Laveran also has experience with joint ventures, strategic alliances, non-controlling venture capital and private equity investments, and other corporate finance matters including international capital raising activities in London.
His experience includes advising multi-national companies on the planning and development of European distribution structures and other commercial arrangements, and he has directed global post-closing merger integration efforts for clients in over 75 jurisdictions. Mr. Laveran has held leadership roles in Covington’s Middle East, Indian, and African practices.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1998
- Georgetown University, School of Foreign Service, B.S., 1993
Bar Admissions : New York
Representative Matters :
- Represented GlaxoSmithKline LLC on the sale of an antibody (raxibacumab) for the treatment of inhalational anthrax to Emergent BioSolutions Inc. Raxibacumab is the only FDA-approved antibody for the treatment of inhalational anthrax due to Bacillus anthracis.
- Represented Eisai Co., Ltd. and Eisai Inc. on the acquisition of all global development and marketing rights for the chronic weight management treatment lorcaserin hydrochloride (BELVIQ) from Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Represented Pharming Group N. V. on the acquisition of all North American commercialization rights to Ruconest® from Valeant for an upfront fee of US$60 million and potential sales milestones payments totaling a maximum of US$65 million.
- Represented European telecommunications company Altice S.A. in a $9.1 billion transaction to acquire a controlling stake in Suddenlink, the seventh largest cable operator in the U.S.
- Represented Meda AB on numerous acquisitions including its acquisition of Acton Pharmaceuticals, a portfolio of pharmaceutical products from Jazz Pharmaceuticals, and MidNite, an OTC sleep aid product.
- Represented ITOCHU Corporation and ITOCHU International Inc. in the sale of PrimeSource Building Products, Inc., a North American distributor of building materials, to Platinum Equity.
- Represented funds managed by HealthpointCapital, LLC in the sale of their controlling interest in Scient’x Groupe SAS to Alphatec Holdings, Inc.
Rate : $$$$