Peter A. McLauchlan has represented clients in maritime, aviation, energy, transportation, and commercial matters worldwide for over 30 years and regularly counsels clients regarding international regulatory issues posed by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and other economic sanctions.
This has involved transactions, litigation and arbitration relating to:
- Aviation investigations and disasters
- Class actions
- Contracts and indemnity
- Engineering and naval architect errors and omissions
- Governmental fines and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigations administrative proceedings
- Insurance, reinsurance and risk management
- Labor and employment
- Maritime bankruptcy and restructuring
- Mergers, acquisitions and dispositions
- Oilfield blowouts
- Patented technology and other intellectual property
- Refinery explosions
- Salvage, towage, liens and seizures
- Toxic tort
- Vessel collisions and allisions
A pair of especially complex cases stand out. In Heidmar Inc. v. Anomina Ravennate Di Armanento Sp.A. of Ravenna, Peter handled a case involving a procedure for the securitization and collection of debt involving multinational arbitration.
In addition, he represented a U.K. Voice Recognition and Dictation Pioneer in a seven-year patent infringement case, obtaining favorable, confidential settlements – AllVoice Computing PLC v. Nuance Communications.
Prior to practicing law, Peter worked as captain and chief engineer with a California-based shipping company and as a representative for a major shipping company in the Gulf South, giving him firsthand experience in maritime law matters.
He is fluent in Spanish, and has earned a reputation for finding creative, business-driven solutions to his clients’ problems throughout the world.
- J.D., St. John’s University School of Law, (1985)
- B.S., U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, (1981), with honors
- Marine Engineering and Nautical Science
- Texas (1986)
- Texas State Courts (1986)
- New York State Courts (1986)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third and Fifth Circuits
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, New York State Bar
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Past Vice Chair, International Law Section
- Member, International Air Transport Association
- Member, Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Member, The University of Texas School of Law Admiralty and Maritime Law Conference Planning Committee
Rate : $$$$