Peter F. O’Neill focuses on complex commercial litigation. His ability to simplify complex issues and provide cogent advice results in favorable outcomes for clients. Peter’s work experience spans diverse subject matter, including antitrust, class actions, post-closing disputes and intellectual property litigation.
He has litigated multiple matters to conclusion, both by dispositive motions and through trial or arbitration.
Peter leads the recruiting efforts and summer associate program in Shook’s Chicago office and serves as a member of Shook’s Search Committee.
Before joining Shook, Peter clerked for the Hon. Gerald J. Pappert of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, where he managed roughly one-third of the docket. During his clerkship, Peter researched a variety of procedural and substantive issues and drafted numerous opinions.
- Currently represents a class consisting of approximately 1,500 medical providers and their practices in litigation against a large hospital system for breach of contract and other claims. The class was certified and affirmed twice on appeal. At trial, the jury awarded Peter’s client $58 million in damages. Peter’s work on this case has included drafting dispositive motions, taking depositions, examining multiple witnesses at trial, drafting and arguing jury instructions and drafting post-trial motions.
- Currently represents a former trustee in a case involving claims of racketeering, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. The trial court granted the trustee’s motion to dismiss, which Peter drafted and argued. The case is now on appeal to the Seventh Circuit.
- Currently serves as trial counsel in a patent infringement case involving lithium-ion battery technology in cordless power tools. The case is currently on appeal to the Federal Circuit.
- Currently serves as trial counsel in a high-profile antitrust class action involving the poultry industry.
- Represented a provider of remote diagnostic cardiac monitoring technologies in a multimillion-dollar post-closing arbitration.
- Represented a shareholder of a closely held company in a dispute seeking dissolution of the corporation. The case resolved on favorable terms for Peter’s client.
- J.D., cum laude, Notre Dame Law School, 2015
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers Award
- Trial Team Member
- B.A., Northwestern University, 2012 (Political Science)
- Varsity Soccer
- Billy McKinney Award Recipient
- Team Leadership Award Recipient
- Cycle for Survival
- The Institute for Inclusion in the Legal Profession, Social Impact Incubator
- The Hon. Gerald J. Pappert, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Rate : $$$