Peter B. Shapiro has a media-focused intellectual property practice, with an emphasis on litigation. Having worked as a journalist for more than a decade prior to entering law school and serving as the media law clerk at NBC Universal, Peter has a strong understanding of media law, a knowledge base he draws on when representing clients with intellectual property concerns.
- Works in conjunction with the firm’s role as court-appointed counsel to the Securities Investor Protection Act Trustee in the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC.
- Member of the team representing a documentary filmmaker’s production company in response to a subpoena issued by the city of New York seeking access to unused footage from a new documentary covering the Central Park Five. The city sought footage to defend itself against a lawsuit filed by the families of the men involved in the Central Park Five case. The team obtained a decision in favor of the client through seeking protection under New York shield laws and laws protecting journalists’ privilege.
Memberships : Media Law Resource Center: Shield Law Task Force
- J.D., Yeshiva University Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
- M.A., University of Sussex (Brighton, United Kingdom), 1993
- B.A., University of Michigan, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- New York, 2009
Rate : $$$