Peter J.W. Sherwin is a partner in the Litigation Department, head of the International Arbitration Group and a member of the Lodging & Gaming, Real Estate Litigation, Sports and Latin America Practices.
Peter’s practice focuses on acting as counsel in complex cross-border commercial disputes, often involving a joint venture, a licensing or distribution relationship, or an acquisition, most of which are resolved in international arbitration and the rest in federal and state courts in the United States.
He has significant pharmaceutical, lodging, real estate, and sports industry experience and, when necessary, regularly takes cases through trial or arbitral hearings. Peter also regularly serves as an arbitrator in proceedings before the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR).
Chambers USA and Chambers Global rank Peter as one of the top International Arbitration lawyers nationwide, reporting that he is “a great tactician with the pragmatism of a businessman” and “a thorough, well-prepared and intelligent lawyer,” who is a “very effective advocate on his feet” and whose client service is “exemplary.”
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 1992
- Washington & Lee University, B.S. and B.A., 1989
Admissions & Qualifications : New York
Clerkships : U.S. District Court, Ohio, Northern District – Hon. Ann Aldrich
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, New York, Eastern District
- U.S. District Court, New York, Northern District
- U.S. Supreme Court
- International Chamber of Commerce (Commission on Arbitration, USCIB Arbitration Committee)
- New York International Arbitration Center (Executive Committee)
- International Council for Commercial Arbitration
- Citizens Union (Former Chair, Board of Directors)
- New York City Bar (former member of the Executive Committee)
- New York State Bar (former member of the Executive Committee)
Government Service : Mayor Bloomberg’s Advisory Committee on the Judiciary
Rate : $$$