Peter J. Valeta has been practicing since 1980 in complex commercial and corporate business litigation. He has handled matters in both state and federal courts nationwide, and has regularly argued matters in appellate courts on both levels. He has extensive experience in class actions.
Pete’s career has emphasized insurance, representing major personal lines carriers, including matters concerning policy interpretation, coverage determinations, statutory interpretation and compliance, and claims handling issues, including bad faith.
These have involved a wide range of policies and coverage, including automobile (liability, uninsured and underinsured motorist, no-fault and other coverages), homeowners and other property and liability policies, and umbrella and other excess coverages. They have also involved issues pertaining to life insurance and financial products (e.g., annuities).
He has often been engaged to develop and implement strategies to coordinate litigation of both class actions and individual cases on particular topics in order to promote the development of cohesive and consistent case law, as well as to ensure complimentary litigation strategies.
He has also represented insurers in litigation pertaining to their business activities, such as contracts, and arising from relationships with independent contractor agents (both disputes with agents and with customers arising from such agents’ activities).
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1980
- University of Pittsburgh, B.A., 1974
BAR ADMISSIONS : Illinois; Florida
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court — Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court — Colorado
- U.S. District Court — Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court — Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Tax Court
- Chicago Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Chicago Counsel of Lawyers
Rate : $$$$