Peter L. Welsh is co-head of the firm’s corporate and securities litigation practice, where he focuses his practice on the areas of transactional and securities litigation as well as government enforcement, corporate governance, and director and officer representations.
Highly experienced at guiding public companies, directors and officers and investment management firms through high stakes litigation and complex corporate governance and transactional matters, Peter regularly represents such clients in all manners of litigation, pre-litigation, and regulatory matters.
Peter is an experienced advocate who has litigated several contested merger transactions, including strategic, financial, and going-private transactions. In addition, he frequently handles complex securities and corporate litigation matters, including representation of the directors and officers of public companies in securities class actions and breach of fiduciary duty actions.
Peter has also handled a range of regulatory investigations, including investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission, Department of Justice, and a number of state governments.
A trusted counselor, Peter advises boards of directors and board committees on mergers and acquisitions and other strategic alternatives, as well as related-party transactions, internal investigations, and litigation.
Peter is also the head of a litigation risk management practice within the firm that is the leading global practice at structuring customized, complex insurance solutions for much of the private equity industry, where he also regularly advises hedge fund and mutual fund clients on indemnification and general partner liability insurance matters.
- JD, cum laude, The University of Chicago Law School, 1999
- MA, Boston College, 1996
- AB, The University of Chicago, 1991
- New York, 2015
- Massachusetts, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES :
- Chairman, Directors and Officers Liability Litigation Committee of the American Bar Association
- Member, ABA Business Law Section’s Task Force on Director and Officer Liability and Indemnification
- Elliott Management Corp.: Lead trial counsel representing Elliott and several affiliated investment funds in expedited bankruptcy litigations that center on Energy Future Holdings’ multiple attempts to sell their interest in Oncor, a regulated utility company in Texas, and emerge from long-running Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Secured extremely favorable decisions in connection with two contested transactions, which ultimately paved the way for a topping bid that provided creditors with significantly higher recoveries.
- LINN Energy, LLC: Trial counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of LINN Energy, LLC, an independent oil and natural gas production company, in contested and expedited trial proceedings in Chapter 11 case in the Southern District of Texas.
- Special Committee of Affiliated Computer Services: Part of deal and trial team that successfully represented the Special Committee of Affiliated Computer Services in the $6 billion acquisition of ACS by Xerox Corporation. Successfully represented Special Committee in numerous shareholder actions in Delaware and Texas.
- Public Company Appraisal Litigation: Have represented several public companies in appraisal claims and litigation in the Delaware Court of Chancery arising out of public M&A transactions.
- Large international investment company: Successfully represented a large international investment company in shareholder litigation arising out of the bankruptcy of one of its portfolio companies within weeks of making a $10 million investment. Recovered 90% of the investment in the portfolio company.
- Keurig Green Mountain: Successfully represented Keurig Green Mountain in shareholder litigation arising out of the acquisition of Diedrich Coffee. Succeeded in opposing plaintiffs’ motion for expedited discovery allowing transaction to close on schedule.
- M&A Advice: Advise numerous private equity sponsors and public and private companies concerning fiduciary duties and transaction process in financial and strategic transactions.
Rate : $$$