Petrina McDaniel is a commercial litigator and Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) whose practice uniquely blends complex litigation and class action defense, regulatory compliance, and privacy risk management. Business-focused and pragmatic, clients laud Petrina as an “extremely energetic and engaged advocate” who provides “legally comprehensive and business-oriented advice.”
A member of the firm’s Litigation and Data Privacy & Cybersecurity practices, Petrina helps domestic and multinational clients navigate the litigation lifecycle across various industries, including retail, insurance, telecommunications, aviation, technology, healthcare, and financial services, and has successfully litigated class actions and complex commercial cases in state and federal courts across the country, including appellate courts and administrative and arbitral forums.
Petrina resolves wide-ranging disputes and high-stakes litigation in diverse matters, including class actions, contract disputes, and business torts, with a particular emphasis on consumer protection.
In addition to commercial litigation, Petrina represents business interests in both negotiations and litigation with state and local governments, including contract disputes and investigations. She has also first-chaired a trial before the Georgia Office of State Administrative Hearings.
Petrina has robust expertise in defense litigation under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), and regularly serves as lead counsel in individual and class action litigation across the country. Petrina’s TCPA practice spans over a decade and clients look to her for subject matter leadership and creativity to ensure compliance under the statute, with an eye towards litigation avoidance.
Petrina also defends, counsels, and represents clients relating to a myriad of consumer privacy statutes, including the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), the CAN-SPAM Act, and a patchwork of other federal privacy statutes and their state analogs.
Petrina also creates consumer-facing marketing strategies to comply with federal regulations promulgated by the FCC and the FTC, and provides strategic compliance related to state and federal privacy statutes.
- Georgia State University, College of Law, J.D.
- Georgia State University, B.A., summa cum laude
Admissions : Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Ct. of App., Georgia
- U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. of Georgia
- U.S. Dist. Ct., Dist. of Colorado
- Defending a putative nationwide TCPA class action on behalf of a telecommunications company in the District Court of Arizona involving reassigned and “wrong number” allegations.
- Defending a putative nationwide TCPA class action on behalf of an insurance company in the Northern District of Georgia based on allegations of vicarious liability and purported violations of the Do Not Call registry.
- Led a team that defended a nonprime credit provider in a TCPA class action brought in a Georgia state court, resulting in a voluntary dismissal with prejudice after removal to the Northern District of Georgia.
- Favorably settling, on an individual basis, a TCPA class action filed against the nation’s largest retail jewelry chain in the Northern District of Georgia.
- Represented the world’s largest airline against alleged violations of the TCPA through unsolicited text messages in the District of Minnesota.
- Advised client on data breach reporting obligations where customer PII was inadvertently sent to a third-party vendor; coordinated notification protocol with forensics vendor to affected customers and state regulators.
- Successfully negotiated a favorable settlement on behalf of a municipal government by modifying a federal injunction enjoining a local disadvantaged business enterprise program.
- Successfully obtained a US$1.135 million judgment against a “data broker” for improperly obtaining cell phone call records.
Rate : $$$