Peyton N. Smith is a Partner in the Labor & Employment Department. With a focus on employment law and defending employers in employment-related litigation, Peyton possesses more than 25 years of experience as a trial attorney, both as defense and plaintiffs’ counsel, and brings unique insight and leadership to both pre- litigation counseling and the courtroom.
Considered by many of his clients as their outside general counsel, Peyton has extensive experience advising management on employment-related claims to minimize the possibility and risk of employment litigation, counseling clients on drafting employment policies and agreements, guiding clients on workplace safety issues, conducting employee investigations, and assisting with hiring, termination and other employment-related actions.
Though he has specific and lengthy experience in representing national retail, restaurant, hospitality, manufacturing and healthcare industry clients, Peyton represents employers in virtually every industry, enabling him to quickly identify and effectively address the unique problems and issues of a wide array of clients.
As an experienced advisor and trial attorney, Peyton is a strategic and effective advocate who represents employers in the courtroom, at arbitrations and before administrative agencies.
When employment claims lead to litigation, he implements a strategic and proactive defense strategy, aiming to efficiently win the case before trial through detailed investigation, aggressive discovery and pre-trial motion practice.
Peyton has lived and practiced law in Austin throughout his entire career. Before joining McGuireWoods LLP, he practiced law at an Austin-based business law firm, where he led the labor and employment practice group. Prior to that, he practiced at two large, Texas-based, national business law firms, where he served in multiple leadership roles.
- Baylor University, BA, Business Administration and Finance
- Baylor Law School, JD, Phi Delta Phi
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- Member, Austin Bar Association, Civil Litigation and Labor and Employment Law Sections
- Member, Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (LCA)
- Member, State Bar of Texas, Labor and Employment Law Section
Rate : $$$