Philip R. King has a varied practice in the areas of insurance coverage, professional liability defense, and construction law. His experience with insurance coverage nationwide includes all types of commercial lines including all aspects of professional liability, directors and officers, employment practices and fiduciary liability, general liability, construction defect, mass tort and environmental coverage on both a primary and excess basis and representation of insurers in bad faith litigation.
He also represents architects, engineers, surveyors, insurance brokers, real estate brokers and lawyers in professional liability cases. Phil has represented insurers in trials, arbitration proceedings and before several federal and state appellate courts.
Phil was recently elected as a fellow of the American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel. Phil speaks and writes for insurance and construction litigation seminars. He is a frequent speaker on coverage and claims handling for insurers.
Phil earned his undergraduate degree magna cum laude from Grove City College in 1981 and his law degree from Case Western Reserve University in 1984 and was a member of the Order of the Coif.
- Obtained summary judgment, and affirmance on appeal, that an insurer owed no duty of coverage for a natural gas pipeline lawsuit arising out of a massive sinkhole, caused by the collapse of an underground salt dome wall due to brine mining operations, based on the absence of property damage triggering pre-sinkhole policies.
- Presented oral argument before appellate courts in insurance coverage matters in Illinois, Louisiana, New York, Texas and before the United States Courts of Appeal of the Fourth and Seventh Circuits.
- Obtained summary judgment affirmed on appeal for insurer with respect to coverage for nationwide class action bodily injury claims under general liability policies.
- Obtained summary judgment finding of no coverage based on prior knowledge defense for underlying legal malpractice claim involving wrongful death suit.
- Represented insurer in resolving coverage dispute under design professional liability policy with respect to multi-million dollar alleged ADA violations for design and construction at projects nationwide.
- Obtained appellate judgments for insurer in coverage disputes under managed care liability policy involving underlying class actions alleging improper administration of prescription drug plans and obtained additional appellate ruling that insurer was entitled restitution of amounts paid for defense pursuant to a trial court order which was reversed on appeal.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 1984
- Grove City College, B.A., 1981
BAR ADMISSIONS : Illinois; Arizona
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court — Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court — Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court — Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court — Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court-Western District of Michigan
- American College of Coverage & Extracontractual Counsel
Rate : $$$