Philip K. Lau’s practice centers on energy-related commercial transactions and construction, primarily in the midstream and downstream segments, and he is Co-Chair of the Firm’s Construction Law practice group.
Phil has represented energy companies in the acquisition of power, pipeline and other energy-related assets as well as drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts for gas processing, fractionation and transportation as well as terminalling agreements for various bulk products.
Phil has also represented U.S. companies in the development of power plants, domestic wind and biofuels projects and other energy-related projects both inside and outside the U.S. Phil’s practice includes drafting and negotiation of construction contracts for energy-related capital projects, including power plants, pipelines, processing facilities and wind power generation facilities.
Phil has previously worked throughout South East Asia on the development of independent power projects and his experience includes drafting and preparation of financing documents related to limited recourse financing for IPPs. Phil previously served with the Republic of Singapore Police and held the rank of Inspector of Police.
Representative Experience :
- Represented international energy company in negotiation of construction and procurement documentation for refinery expansion in Port Arthur
- Represented private equity-backed energy company in the drafting and negotiation of EPC agreement for a proppant production facility in Georgia
- Represented Texas-based midstream company in the drafting and negotiation of EPC agreements for multiple natural gas pipelines in the Eagle Ford Shale
- Represented private equity-backed midstream company in drafting and negotiation of agreements for natural gas pipeline and processing facilities in Permian Basin
- Represented U.S. energy company in drafting and negotiation of gas processing agreement for facilities in the Piceance Basin, Colorado
- Represented alternative fuels venture in drafting and negotiation of biodiesel production, storage and terminalling agreements in Houston ship channel
- Represented Japanese gas turbine manufacturer in sale of gas turbines to several U.S.-based power generation facilities, and negotiation of related long-term services agreements
- Represented multilateral financing agency in drafting and negotiation of various financing and security documents in connection with limited-recourse financing of 56 MW combined cycle power plant in Senegal
- Represented publicly traded energy company in drafting and negotiation of gathering and transportation agreements for crude oil production in the Bakken Shale, North Dakota
- Represented U.S. affiliate of South American energy company in the drafting and negotiation of LPG feed gas purchase and sale agreement and related processing agreements
- Represented publicly traded energy company in the drafting and negotiation of natural gas gathering and fractionation for Eagle Ford Shale production
Professional History :
- Partner, Locke Lord LLP
- Senior Counsel, Software AG, Inc., Reston, Va.
- Senior Associate, Fulbright & Jaworski LLP, Washington, D.C.
- Director, Project Development, South East Asia, Coastal Power Company, Houston
- Associate, Baker & McKenzie, Washington, D.C.
- Inspector, Republic of Singapore Police, Singapore
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1992
- B.A., Economics, with highest honors, University of Notre Dame, 1989
Admissions : Pennsylvania; District of Columbia; Texas
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Rate : $$$