Partner in charge of Mayer Brown’s Los Angeles office and co-leader of the firm’s International Trade and Government Relations & Public Law practices, Phil R. Recht represents clients in legislative, regulatory, enforcement and litigation matters before and involving federal, state and local governments.
He also handles grants, approvals, permits and other government transactions. He has particular expertise in transportation, infrastructure, tribal gaming, health care, trade association, government contracts, and election law matters.
Phil also has extensive government experience. Prior to joining the firm, he served as Chief Counsel (1994-95) and Deputy Administrator (1995-99) for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in the US Department of Transportation.
He also worked as a Legislative Assistant in the Office of US Rep. David L. Cornwell (Ind.) (1976-78), as a consultant with the Joint Center for Political Studies in Washington, DC (1975) and as a Legislative Aide with the Office of US Rep. John Moakley (Mass.) (1975).
- Yale University, BA, cum laude
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, JD, cum laude
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US District Court for the Central District of California
- US District Court for the Southern District of California
- US District Court for the Northern District of California
- Central City Association of Los Angeles, Executive Board Chair, 2009-10, Government Relations Committee Vice-Chair, 2012-13, Transportation Committee Chair, 2002
- Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Co-Chair, 2016, Government and Fiscal Affairs Committee Co-Chair, 2014-15
- Los Angeles Business Council, Board of Directors, Co-Chair of Legal Affairs Committee
- California Gubernatorial Trade Mission to China, Member, 2013
- California Commission on Uniform State Laws, Member, 2003-07
- Democratic National Convention, Platform Committee Member, 2016, Rules Committee Member, 1992, 2008, 2012, Delegate, 1988
Rate : $$$