Phillip C. Chang focuses on consumer finance litigation, business disputes, and contract matters. He practices in courts throughout the country, and routinely litigates in the federal and state courts of the District of Columbia, Virginia, and Maryland.
Phil regularly represents financial institutions in single plaintiff and class action litigation arising from federal and state consumer finance and banking statutes. He has broad experience defending claims under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Truth in Lending Act, Fair Housing Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act and state consumer protection statutes.
Phil’s defense of financial institutions extends to multiple business lines including retail bank, auto finance, card, and mortgage. He has particular experience defending claims under the FTC Holder Rule. He has also defended banks and their exercise of fiduciary powers under the National Bank Act.
Phil’s business litigation relates to contract actions and fraud-based business torts, misappropriation of trade secrets, and unfair competition.
Phil takes an active role in the community and has sat on the boards of organizations that promote early education, advocate for the advancement of Asian Pacific American lawyers, and provide for hunger relief. He currently sits on the board of the Smithsonian Early Enrichment Center.
- Defense of national bank in class actions in federal and state courts nationwide under the National Bank Act and state RICO statutes. Obtained early dismissal.
- Defense of global web services provider in class action under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. Resulted in a favorable settlement.
- Defense of national grocery chain in employment litigation under Title VII. Obtained summary judgment.
- Representation of national bank and other entities in misappropriation of trade secrets and business tort litigation. Obtained injunctive relief and return of trade secrets.
- George Mason University School of Law, JD, cum laude, Staff Member, Federal Circuit Bar Journal, 2007
- The College of William & Mary, BA, Government, 2001
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- Board of Directors, Vice-President for Education, Asian Pacific American Bar Association (APABA-DC), 2014-Present
- Board of Directors, Smithsonian Early Enrichment Center, 2015-Present
- Board of Directors, Loudoun Interfaith Relief, 2009-2012
Rate : $$$