Phillip (Phil) F. Hosp is a partner at Foley & Lardner LLP in its Los Angeles office. He is a member of the firm’s Business Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice.Phil represents directors, officers, investment firms, public and private companies, family offices, and other parties in mergers and acquisitions litigation, SEC investigations, and other cases involving fiduciary duties, unfair competition, and corporate law claims.
He also represents clients in disputes involving real estate purchase and sale contracts, secured loan transactions, partnership and joint venture agreements, commercial lease disputes, priority of lien issues, judicial and nonjudicial foreclosures, receiverships, and land use.
Phil is a veteran of the U.S. Army, where he served as an armor officer in the 3rd Infantry Division and achieved the rank of captain. During one of his two tours in Iraq, Phil was awarded the Bronze Star for leadership in combat and tactical guidance during an IED attack.
Representative Experience :
- Represented a real estate developer in a formal SEC investigation of potential securities fraud claims related to funds raised through the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program, which concluded with the SEC taking no enforcement action
- Represented a public company in securities fraud litigation arising out of its acquisition of Canada’s largest auto parts manufacturer
- Defended a leading private investment firm in a lawsuit involving shareholder claims arising out of its investment in a chemical company, which were ultimately dismissed with plaintiff and his attorney being sanctioned for filing frivolous claims
- Outside counsel to the United States Women’s National Soccer Team Players Association on governance matters and issues related to its reorganization
- Represented investor plaintiffs in a jury trial involving the financing of various real estate projects, which resulted in a $21 million verdict and an alter ego finding against the clients’ former business partner
- Represented an international food franchisor in disputes concerning commercial lease and franchise agreements
- Advised a privately held commercial real estate firm in dispute involving real estate commission dispute
- Represented a public company in breach of contract action involving investment banking fees allegedly owed in connection with stock issuance and negotiation of revolving credit facility
- Various pro bono cases, including lead counsel to special operations veteran in multi-week juvenile court trial, which concluded with the court dismissing all counts
Phil earned his law degree from Loyola Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2009) and his bachelor’s degree from Boston University (B.S., 2002).
Admissions and Professional Memberships :
Phil is admitted to practice law in California as well as before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the U.S. District Courts for the Central, Northern, and Southern Districts of California.
Phil is a member of the American Bar Association and the State Bar of California.
Rate : $$$$