Pierre R. Yanney brings a keen analytical mind and a passion for the latest technology to understand – and protect – the value of intellectual property. Immersed in patent litigation and prosecution for nearly 25 years, he merges notable courtroom experience with a career as an engineer to maximize IP portfolios and defend clients from competitors.
Pierre is a familiar face in the field. He has appeared numerous times in front of both the Patent Trial and Appeal Board and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, scoring wins for clients ranging from a disposable email address service, to one of the largest elevator companies in the world. Strengthened by his reputation and industry knowledge, Pierre is a major contribution to the firm’s intellectual resources.
- Obtained victory at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board for a provider of wireless RF motion-sensing controllers, confirming the complete invalidation of a patent related to a 3D “air mouse” electronic pointing device used for screen control, held by a competitor. Later, successfully argued at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, which affirmed the earlier decision.
- Won summary judgment of non-infringement on behalf of a disposable email address service, sued for patent infringement in connection with email alias address technology.
- Defended a manufacturer and distributor of health care products against one of the country’s most prominent specialty retailers. Convinced the court not to grant a request for a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction, which would have prevented the manufacturer and distributor from selling its electronic air purifiers.
- Serves as a patent advisor for the companies of the NJIT Enterprise Development Center high-tech start-up incubator.
- Extensive experience with electronic systems and controls, telecommunications, RFID components and systems, and electronic medical devices and instruments.
- American Bar Association
- PTAB Bar Association
- J.D., Rutgers University School of Law, 1993, with honors
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1988
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1988
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Registration No. 35,418
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
Rate : $$$