J. Preston (J.P.) Long, Ph.D., utilizes his extensive scientific background when representing clients across a diverse range of patent protection and enforcement matters related to semiconductors, electrical and computer technologies, and medical devices.
J.P. has experience in a variety of dispute resolution forums, including federal district courts; the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC); the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB); the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (CAFC), where he served as a law clerk; and private arbitration.
He regularly manages discovery, takes and defends depositions, writes briefs and motions, works with corporate and expert witnesses, and develops strategic positions. He also counsels clients on claim drafting and patent prosecution strategies, and advises on matters arising in the context of licensing, patent valuation, and standard-essential patents.
Prior to law school, J.P. studied physics for more than ten years, specializing in solid-state and semiconductor physics and earning a doctoral degree. During that time, he also gained in-depth knowledge from related fields, including material science and electrical engineering.
Most of J.P.’s cases involve related technologies, such as integrated circuits and semiconductors, LEDs, fiber-optics, digital cameras, medical devices, signal processing, and wireless communications.
In addition, J.P. serves as a professorial lecturer in law at The George Washington University Law School and also devotes a portion of his time to pro bono matters, assisting disabled veterans in matters before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.
- Duke University School of Law J.D., cum laude, 2012
- North Carolina State University Ph.D., Physics, 2008
- North Carolina State University M.S., Physics, 2004
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill B.S., Physics and Mathematics, with distinction, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, Hon. Todd M. Hughes
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, W.D. Michigan
- U.S. District Court, E.D. Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Veterans Claims
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional Activities :
- Virginia State Bar Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
Rate : $$$