Rachel Barlotta, shareholder in the Birmingham office, represents employers in all aspects of federal and state court litigation involving discrimination, retaliation, harassment, wage and hour, family and medical leave, and non-compete agreements, and before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Department of Labor and the Alabama Department of Industrial Relations.
Ms. Barlotta has also handled appeals to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the Alabama Supreme Court. She assists employers in drafting policies, provides training seminars and conducts internal investigations of alleged violations of state and federal anti-discrimination laws.
- Samford University, Cumberland School of Law, J.D., 2003, cum laude
- Samford University, B.A., 2000
- Alabama, 2003
- All Alabama State Courts
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Alabama
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Represented client on a nationwide collective action, handling all discovery including taking depositions of named plaintiffs and all representative opt-ins. The matter settled for a reasonable sum just before the court’s ruling on decertification/summary judgment.
- Represented client on numerous single plaintiff FLSA actions, including for clients in the insurance, commercial realty and non-profit industries.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of national media company in age discrimination case.
- Won dismissal of former employee’s FMLA claims on behalf of employer.
- Won summary judgment in district court against employee’s claims of hostile work environment, discrimination and retaliation.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – Birmingham and Alabama Bar Associations
- Member – Rotaract Club of Birmingham
- Board Member – Miss Birmingham Scholarship Program
- Impact Family Counseling MCP Mentor
- Named 2009 Mentor of the Year
Rate : $$$