Rafael Thor is a corporate associate and a member of the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions Group. Mr. Thor joined Debevoise in 2015. From 2010 to 2014, he was a corporate associate at Mattos Filho Advogados, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He received a law degree from Universidade Estadual do Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) in 2010 and an LL.M. from The University of Chicago Law School in 2015. Mr. Thor is admitted to the Brazilian Bar Association, Rio de Janeiro Section and the New York Bar. He is a native Portuguese speaker.
- The Carlyle Group in its strategic minority investment in Grupo Madero, the largest casual dining and fast-casual restaurant chain in Brazil.
- Brookfield Business Partners in its acquisition of 100% of Ouro Verde, a leading Brazilian fleet management company.
- The parent of SouthWest Water Company (SWWC), a water and wastewater utility operating in Alabama, California, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina and Texas, in the sale of a 25% indirect managed stake in SWWC to an affiliate of Munich Re and ERGO.
- Prumo Logística in a joint venture with BP to build and operate a gas-powered thermoelectric power plant in the port of Açu, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Four Italian private equity firms in the sale of Dynamic Technologies, a global designer and manufacturer of automotive fluid-handling systems and precision aluminum parts.
- Brookfield Business Partners and Brookfield Asset Management in their proposed acquisition for $768 million of a 70% controlling stake in the business of Odebrecht Ambiental, Brazil’s largest private water distribution, collection and treatment company.
- Capital Group in a significant equity investment in Koba International, which owns and operates the D1 brand of hard-discount retail stores in Colombia.
- Capital Group in its 457 million reais ($142 million) investment in BK Brasil Operação e Assessoria a Restaurantes, which operates the Burger King.
- GP Investments in a joint venture with a subsidiary of the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA) to finance the acquisition, through a tender offer in Brazil, of a controlling stake in BR Properties S.A., a Brazilian real estate company.
- Ambev S.A. in a tender offer to acquire a controlling stake in Banks Holdings Limited, a leading Caribbean brewery headquartered in St. Michael, Barbados.
- A leading Brazilian mining company in its research projects and supply agreements.
- University of Chicago Law School, 2015, LL.M.
- Universidade Estadual do Rio de Janeiro, 2010, LL.B.
- Rio de Janeiro
- New York
Rate : $$$