Raghav Ahuja advises banks, asset managers, insurance companies, retirement and healthcare plan fiduciaries, and other financial services institutions on a variety of legal issues ranging from consumer protection, insurance, securities, and privacy law, to compliance with Dodd-Frank, the Affordable Care Act, and ERISA.
As a trained engineer, Raghav brings his quantitative thinking and creativity to the table in considering the strength of potential legal arguments and avenues for factual development. He analyzes the litigation risks of product offerings and consults with companies regarding risk mitigation strategies, including by offering recommendations to strengthen client contracts and regulatory disclosures, as well as corporate compliance processes.
Raghav has extensive experience in all aspects of the litigation process. Among other things, he has drafted numerous successful appellate and trial court briefs, and supervised and led fact discovery efforts in various cases, including taking and defending fact and expert depositions.
Because of his quantitative skills, Raghav is often charged with supervising expert discovery. In this capacity, he has coordinated the preparation of expert reports regarding various topics, such as prudent asset management practices and the evaluation of investment product performance, and has prepared numerous expert witnesses for deposition.
In addition, Raghav also represents companies facing criminal or civil investigations by governmental entities, such as the Department of Justice, the Department of Labor, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Federal Trade Commission, and various state insurance regulators.
- Defended multiple asset managers in litigation challenging investment strategy of various financial products, such as stable value and target date funds
- Defended various retirement plan sponsors and service providers in litigation challenging the reasonableness of recordkeeping and/or investment management fees, and the design of plans’ investment option menus
- Advised asset manager on restructuring of separate account product family by evaluating securities, ERISA, and tax law implications of proposed changes, and recommending risk-mitigating modifications to company’s client contracts and business processes
- Counseling insurance company in state-by-state overhaul of group policy, certificate of coverage, and vendor agreement language and representing company in litigation challenging aspects of claims payment process
- Developed legal strategy for health insurance company to mitigate legal risk arising from adverse agency interpretation of regulation, including via discussions with Department of Health and Human Services and drafting of complaint challenging regulatory action under the Administrative Procedures Act
- District of Columbia
- New York
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D.: cum laude
- The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, Certificate, Business Economics & Public Policy
- University of Michigan, B.S.E., Electrical Engineering: summa cum laude
- Honorable William M. Hoeveler, US District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Rate : $$$$