Ralph A. Dengler is a first-chair trial attorney with significant experience counseling clients and litigating patent, trademark, trade secret, and copyright matters in federal courts across the country.
He represents clients in diverse technologies, including pharmaceuticals and medical devices, chemical compounds, computers, electronics and software, food containers and packaging, construction and dredging, publishing and social media, streaming media, telecommunications, and the outdoor and shooting sports industries.
He also co-chairs Venable’s Post-Grant Practice Group. Ralph began his legal career as an assistant district attorney in the Bronx, and his IP law practice at Fitzpatrick Cella Harper & Scinto. He also served for 22 years as an infantry officer in the U.S. Marine Corps, retiring in 2010 as a reserve colonel.
His service included combat tours in Operations Desert Shield/Desert Storm in 1991 and the Iraq War in 2003, and in 2007-2008. He has commanded platoon- through battalion-sized Marine infantry units.
- Active Duty Officer, United States Marine Corps, 1988-1993
- Assistant District Attorney, Office of the Bronx District Attorney
- Reserve Officer, United States Marine Corps, 1994-2010
Representative Matters :
- Defending streaming media technology companies against patent troll litigations in the District of Delaware, New Jersey, and Central District of California, including parallel inter partes review proceedings before the PTAB
- Ongoing representation of a telecommunications provider in patent and trademark counseling and enforcement in the U.S.
- Represented an international provider of digital signal processing equipment in a non-party matter in the District of Delaware
- Represented a telecommunications provider in patent infringement litigations in the Eastern District of Texas, and Northern and Central Districts of California, from pre-lawsuit due diligence through jury trial and Federal Circuit appeal
- Defended an iconic motorcycle franchise against a patent troll lawsuit in the Eastern District of New York, related to video surveillance and monitoring
- Defended a pet products manufacturer against and resolved a patent infringement lawsuit in the Northern District of Ohio.
- Represented a financial ratings company in bringing theft of trade secrets, Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and breach of contract claims against former employees in the Southern District of New York; separately defended against copyright infringement assertions
- Defended manufacturers of baby carriers, digital compass mirrors, injectable insulin pens, pet products, razor blades, and solar panels against claims of patent infringement in various federal courts.
- Represented a local chef and restaurateur in resolving a trademark and domain name dispute with a former business partner.
- J.D. Fordham University School of Law 1996
- M.Ed. University of Virginia 1994
- B.S. U.S. Naval Academy 1988
Bar Admissions : New York
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
Professional Memberships :
- Member, New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, New Jersey Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, National Shooting Sports Foundation
- General counsel, Marine Toys for Tots Foundation
- Provides pro bono assistance to a nonprofit education company that provides resources and instruction to elementary schools for teaching etiquette toward military veterans
- Member, German American Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Rate : $$$$