Rand L. McClellan is a commercial litigator focusing on complex matters and class actions. Rand assists clients with consumer protection litigation, Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) issues, deceptive advertising claims, and creditors’ rights matters. He also has significant experience in assisting financial institutions with litigation relating to business loans.
Rand is an editor and contributor to BakerHostetler’s Class Action Lawsuit Defense blog, which provides updates on legal developments, settlements and practical advice. He also provides insight on class action issues at speaking engagements.
- Obtained summary judgment on all claims asserted in a putative class action against one of the largest property and casualty insurers in Ohio, and persuaded the Ohio Supreme Court to affirm summary judgment on appeal. Laboy v. Grange Mut. Cas. Co.
- Obtained complete jury verdict for a motorcycle manufacturer regarding alleged breaches of contract and consumer protection statutes. Hillard v. Big Dog Motorcycles.
- Obtained dismissal of a lawsuit against a freight distribution client by convincing opposing party, through depositions, written discovery and case law, that its claims were without merit. Texas Freightways, Inc. v. United Pool Distrib., Inc.
- Represented aviation authority and oversaw a complex eviction and liquidation of a large aviation tenant from several buildings and hangars via Ohio’s receivership statutes, over the objections of the tenant’s creditors, while obtaining significant monetary recovery for the client through the receivership. Columbus Regional Airport Auth. v. Snow Aviation Int’l, Inc., et al.
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association, Attorney Admissions Committee (2014 to 2017)
- Rose Garden Charities: Board Member (2016 to 2017)
- Children’s Hunger Alliance: Taste to Remember Steering Committee (2016 to 2017)
- Upper Arlington Leadership Academy (2010)
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Region X: Mentor (2015)
- J.D., The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, 2005; Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution, Associate Editor
- B.A., Colgate University, 1997, cum laude, with additional honors in History
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- Ohio, 2005
Rate : $$$