Randal John Meyer is senior vice president at McGuireWoods Consulting and counsel at McGuireWoods LLP. He advises clients on a comprehensive approach to legal, policy, and political concerns. In addition to litigation and traditional legal options, his creative practice provides clients with novel regulatory and legislative avenues to meet their goals.
Randal joined McGuireWoods in 2018 after working in a top national law firm’s appellate and major motions practice group where he also assisted on cases involving political law. Before entering private practice, Randal served as legislative counsel to Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.) in the 114th and 115th Congresses.
While on the Hill, he prepared vote recommendations, formulated initiatives, crafted legislation, and devised political and parliamentary strategy with respect to judiciary, telecommunications, Internet and technology, and economic development issues.
Previously, he was a legal associate in the Cato Institute’s Center for Constitutional Studies, a research fellow at Brooklyn Law School, and was the chief legal researcher for Judge Andrew Napolitano of Fox News.
Randal has authored or co-authored over 60 opinion pieces and over a dozen briefs to the U.S. Supreme Court. His work has appeared in outlets such as The Wall Street Journal, Newsweek, National Law Journal, Huffington Post, Forbes, New York Post, National Review Online, The Hill, and the Brooklyn Law Review, and has been featured in publications such as the Washington Post and Los Angeles Times.
He has given talks at several prominent institutions on legal issues, policy, and theory, including the Cato Institute, the University of Virginia, and the University of Pennsylvania Law School.
- Advised, counseled, and represented various political clients on matters ranging from redistricting litigation to parliamentary procedure.
- Authored amicus brief regarding Backpage.com LLC v. Dart that was cited by Judge Richard Posner of the Seventh Circuit.
- Authored amicus brief regarding United States v. Texas that was quoted in “Our New Brief on the President’s Duty of Good Faith Performance,” by Randy Barnett on the Washington Post’s Volokh Conspiracy blog.
- Represented large corporate clients with respect to labor relations issues.
- Brooklyn Law School, JD, Editorial Board, Articles Editor (2013-2014), Brooklyn Law Review, Moot Court Honor Society, 2014
- Binghamton University, State University of New York, BA, Harpur College of Arts and Sciences, Philosophy, Politics & Law (PPL), and Philosophy, Honors, Dean’s List, 2011
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Board of Directors, Theta Delta Chi, Educational Foundation, 2011-present
- President, Minerva Company, 2016-present
Rate : $$$$