Randall Saunders focuses his practice on financial services litigation and he chairs the Tax Lien & Litigation Group. In addition to a multi-state financial services litigation practice and representing clients faced with lien and tax related issues, he also handles insurance bad faith litigation, medical liability and healthcare litigation, and class actions.
He has experience defending banks and other lending institutions from claims related to loan origination and servicing practices. He currently represents a variety of lenders and loan servicers in the defense of consumer claims asserted in class actions, individual consumer suits, counterclaims to foreclosure actions, adversary proceedings in bankruptcy, and arbitration proceedings.
His practice entails not only litigation and arbitration matters, including class actions, but also the sort of repetitive litigation that can present systematic or regulatory threats.
In addition, he represents both national and regional banks, financial servicing institutions, and various entities associated with the tax lien industry across the country, through local counsel when necessary, with respect to tax lien sales, disputes, and related litigation.
This representation includes assisting financial institutions in efforts to redeem properties, challenge the substantive and technical aspects of a sale/foreclosure and/or compliance with statutory obligations in an effort to recover properties, and negotiate with purchasers to reacquire the properties and reaffirm the financial institution’s security interest.
Mr. Saunders works with institutions to update applicable policies and procedures, develop and implement strategic solutions directed at mitigating the risk of loss and maximizing the ability to timely recognize and recover lost assets, and to identify trends, changes in the law and/or geographic areas that pose a risk to the client.
- University of Kentucky College of Law, JD (2005)
- Morehead State University, BA, History and Government, summa cum laude (2002)
- Litigated matters for clients in numerous jurisdictions, including West Virginia, Kentucky, Maryland, and Ohio, in both state and federal courts
- Experienced appellate advocate, having practiced before the Maryland Court of Appeals, Maryland Court of Special Appeals, Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia, and Kentucky Court of Appeals
- Practice includes experience in handling commercial litigation, insurance bad faith litigation, products liability litigation, medical liability and healthcare litigation, class actions and mass torts, and tax issues
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia, Board of Governors (2015-present)
- West Virginia State Bar
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Board of Directors, United Way of the River Cities
- Leadership West Virginia, Class 2018
- Legal Aid of West Virginia, Development Advisory Team
- Cornerstone Community Development Corp., Board Member (2017)
Rate : $$$