Rani Gupta’s litigation practice focuses on representing corporate policyholders in high-stakes insurance coverage disputes. Ms. Gupta also defends class action and complex commercial litigation.
- Stanford Law School, J.D., 2012
- Northwestern University, B.S., 2003
Judicial Clerkship : Hon. Sidney R. Thomas, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2012 – 2013
Bar Admissions : California
Representative Matters :
- Represent a managed care provider in $100 million insurance recovery action. Obtained appellate reversal of adverse trial court ruling.
- Represent a property developer in disputes with its insurers over coverage for lawsuits alleging damage to a 58-story apartment tower in downtown San Francisco.
- Represent a leading international mining company in insurance coverage litigation arising from asbestos and talc lawsuits.
- Represent a major oil and gas company in pursuing insurance coverage for hundreds of millions in third-party claims arising from use of insured’s product.
- Represented a loan servicing company in defending against lawsuits challenging interest rates and late fee charges. Obtained dismissal of two cases and defeated certification of interest rate classes in a third case.
Pro Bono :
- Advise non-profit news organizations on public records, defamation, copyright, and newsgathering issues.
- Briefed and argued appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Memberships and Affiliations : Leadership Council on Legal Diversity – Pathfinder
Previous Experience :
- Voice of San Diego, Staff Writer (2008-2009)
- North County Times, Staff Writer (2007-2008)
- The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, Journalism Fellow (2006-2007)
- The Palm Beach Post, Staff Writer (2003-2006)
Rate : $$$$