Raymond R. Barrera is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Eminent Domain & Inverse Condemnation, Public Agency & Public Finance and Construction Practices.
He has over 20 years of experience representing public entities at trial, arbitrations and mediations in the areas of eminent domain, inverse condemnation, dangerous conditions of public property, construction zone accident cases and public works construction breach of contract cases.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the eminent domain valuation process and representation of public entities in every stage of a condemnation case, from initial property valuations and negotiations, the filing of a condemnation case, discovery, pretrial motions, determining final offer amounts, judge and jury trials.
- Representation of the California Department of Transportation in cases involving claims of dangerous conditions of public property and construction zone accident cases in Los Angeles, Orange and San Bernardino counties.
- Representation of the California Department of Transportation in Public Works Contract Arbitrations and lawsuits involving the California Tort Claims Act.
- In-house counsel for major title insurer, responsible for managing outside litigation counsel, reviewing and responding to claims and escrow related disputes.
- Mr. Barrera is admitted to practice in all California state courts, the Federal District Court for the Central District of California, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Santa Clara University School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1992
- University of California at Los Angeles, Bachelor of Arts in History, 1988
- State Bar Admissions, California
- United States Courts of Appeals & Supreme Court, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Courts, United States District Court for the Central District of California
- California State Bar
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- International Right of Way Association
- Arbitrator, Los Angeles County Bar Association Dispute Resolution Services
Representative Court Cases :
- Downey Real Estate Holding LLC v. Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority(2013), successful defense against plaintiff’s inverse condemnation and nuisance action and successful defense against plaintiff’s appeal
- Metro Gold Line Foothill Extension Construction Authority v. City of Monrovia, et al. (2013), condemnation of property required for the Gold Line’s Maintenance & Operations Facility
- Southern California Edison v. Cheiky, et. al. (2011), condemnation of Kern County electrical transmission line easements for SCE’s Tehachapi Renewable Transmission Project
- County Sanitation District No. 14 v. Kato, et. al. (2010), condemnation of 61 separate parcels involving 161 separate owners and interest holders
- Southern California Edison v. Pilla (2009), condemnation of necessary electrical transmission line easements for SCE’s Tehachapi renewable transmission project.
Rate : $$$$