Rebecca R. Hanson is a member of the firm’s Commercial Litigation Group. She focuses her practice on complex general commercial litigation, class actions, healthcare and ERISA litigation, consumer financial services litigation, and trade secrets claims.
Rebecca has successfully represented clients in all phases of commercial disputes, ranging from pre-litigation dispute resolution, litigation or arbitration of commercial claims and defenses, and negotiation of favorable settlements for clients.
Prior to her legal career, Rebecca served as an Afghanistan analyst in the Directorate of Intelligence at the Central Intelligence Agency, during which time she received many performance awards for her analytic skills.
In March 2002, she was invited by the President’s Envoy to Afghanistan and Iraq to serve as the associate director for Afghanistan, Islamic Outreach, and Southwest Asia Initiatives at the National Security Council at the White House, which she did until September 2003.
During her time at the National Security Council, she traveled extensively in Afghanistan, Iraq, and other parts of the Middle East and Central Asia, and took part in negotiations with heads of state and other leaders regarding United States post-9/11 foreign policy.
- University of Chicago, J.D., with honors
- Georgetown University, M.A.
Professional Admissions & Qualifications : Illinois
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court – District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court – Central District of Illinois
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Junior Board Member, Chicago Lawyer’s Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law, Inc.
- Represented a managed care company in numerous healthcare benefits disputes brought by members, including a successful appeal before the Ninth Circuit, which Rebecca argued.
- Represented a managed care company in an arbitration involving a contract dispute with a hospital provider over payment rate for a particular procedure.
- Represented a managed care company, a health insurance company, and health benefit holding companies in an ERISA dispute with out-of-network providers over the rate of payment for services.
- Represented a health insurance company in an ERISA dispute with an out-of-network provider over coverage verifications
- Represented a Credit Union in obtaining favorable ruling in federal tax “test case” for the credit union industry, Bellco Credit Union v. United States, in U.S. District Court in Denver, Colorado, challenging recent IRS determinations that the sale of debt protection and financial service products by credit unions are subject to unrelated business income tax (UBIT).
- Represented a Japanese supplier in an arbitration where hundreds of millions of dollars were at issue and a favorable settlement was negotiated.
Rate : $$$