Rebecca (Becky) Williams, a registered nurse with hands-on health care experience, is the chair of the Health Information Technology/HIPAA Practice Group. Becky has written numerous publications, articles, briefings, chapters and other publications. She also is a contributing author to the Employee Benefits Institute of America’s HIPAA Portability, Privacy and Security Manual.
Becky is a frequent national speaker and regularly quoted in national health law publications. A nationally recognized authority on HIPAA and the HITECH Act, Becky focuses much of her practice on privacy, security, and health care regulatory issues. She counsels clients on health care privacy and security compliance (e.g., HIPAA, the HITECH Act and their state counterparts).
She regularly works on structuring and developing processes and documentation for the electronic sharing of health information, health information exchange and electronic health record “provisioning donation.” Becky is a health care regulatory attorney who advises clients on anti-kickback, physician self-referral (e.g., the Stark Law), tax exemption, patient care, health care quality, governance and other health law issues. She also works on contracts and transactional matters.
- Worked as an attorney for several major national law firms focusing on health law
- Worked as a registered nurse at Children’s Memorial Hospital, Chicago; at St. Jude’s Hospital, Vieux Fort, St. Lucia; and in home health and physician practice settings
Professional & Community Activities:
- Co-Chair, Sub-workgroup on Enforcement – Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange (WEDI), Strategic National Implementation Project (SNIP)
- Vice Chair, Health Information and Technology Practice Group, American Health Lawyers Association, 2004-2010
- Legal Aspects of Health Information Exchange Task Force, Health Information and Management Systems Society
- Secretary, Trustee; Executive Committee Member – Villa Academy
- Trustee, 2001-2009; Executive Committee Member, 2006 – American Lung Association of the Northwest
- J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 1986
- Dean’s List each semester
- Editor, Women’s Law Reporter
- B.S.N., Nursing, Duke University, 1981, magna cum laude
Rate : $$$