Rebecca Liebowitz, co-chair of Venable’s Trademark and Brand Protection Group, helps clients of all sizes establish and protect their brands globally and domestically. Rebecca leads several large portfolios while working closely with local counsel around the world to protect global intellectual property interests for her clients.
Over the course of her extensive career, Rebecca has handled both traditional trademarks (including trademarks, service marks, logos, and slogans) and nontraditional trademarks (including trade dress and sound marks) across wide-ranging industries.
Rebecca advises clients on worldwide intellectual property issues, including trademark, trade dress, and copyright protection and enforcement, and brand rollouts. She routinely prepares and prosecutes applications and represents clients in trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings at the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB).
Her work also includes preparing brand availability opinions and license agreements, managing online brand protection programs, working with Customs and Border Protection to prevent infringing goods from entering the country, conducting intellectual property due diligence audits, and working alongside IP litigators at all stages of disputes.
She regularly develops and provides training to in-house legal and brand development teams on creating and protecting brand assets.
- Provides worldwide counseling and enforcement to one of the world’s most famous brands regarding IP clearance, prosecution, enforcement, domain name work, and licensing deals
- Represents a client in global counseling and enforcement of a family of brands in all aspects of trademark, advertising, domain name, copyright, licensing, and enforcement issues. This work also includes advising on two significant acquisitions significantly expanding the family of brands
- Manages IP enforcement efforts and trademark clearance and prosecution, both in the U.S. and abroad, for a health and wellness brand. Represents the company in TTAB matters and federal litigation, to both enforce and defend the brand
- Negotiated a worldwide settlement agreement to resolve a dispute between two parties using nearly identical marks, one in connection with golfing goods/services and the other in connection with driving goods/services.
- J.D. George Mason University School of Law 2007
- M.A. Museum Studies The George Washington University 2003
- B.A. magna cum laude American University 1999
Bar Admissions : District of Columbia, Virginia
Professional Memberships :
- Member, American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Member, District of Columbia Bar, Intellectual Property Section
- Member, Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Member, U.S. Subcommittee of the Famous & Well-Known Marks Committee, 2014 – 2018
- Member, U.S. Subcommittee of the Non-Traditional Marks Committee, 2018 – 2020.
Rate : $$$$