Regina Sam Penti counsels clients on their most complex intellectual property issues in both transactional and operational settings. She advises private and public companies on technology transactions, including strategic acquisitions, private equity investments, licensing, and other commercial agreements.
She is an experienced legal strategist who has helped clients grow, commercialize, and design around significant IP assets. Amongst her clients, including startups and mature companies, Regina is known for practical and effective advice that is rooted in their business needs.
A dual-qualified U.S. lawyer and Solicitor of England and Wales, Regina also represents clients in European patent oppositions and other post-grant proceedings. She is the author of The EU’s Unitary Patent and Unified Patent Court: A reference guide to the core legislation, regulations and rules of procedure, and speaks and writes regularly about global IP strategies for U.S. companies.
Regina has undergraduate and graduate degrees in electrical engineering from MIT, and previously worked in the telecommunications and software industries. She has deep experience across a range of technologies, including blockchain, artificial intelligence (AI), cloud computing, semiconductor, financial technology (fintech), and medical technologies.
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 2010; Dean’s Scholar Prizes inInternational Commercial Arbitration andConstitutional Law
- MEng (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2003
- BS (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2002; Eta Kappa Nu, Tau Beta Pi
- England and Wales, Solicitor
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.K. Intellectual Property Office
MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS : European Practice Committee Voting Member (2018-2019), Intellectual Property Owners Association
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES :
- Boston IP American Inn of Court
- Boston Patent Law Association (BPLA)
- Advised Bain Capital Ventures in its growth equity investment in Doc Halo, a pioneer in real-time clinical communication and developer of an award-winning healthcare communication technology.
- Represented TPG Capital and Fenwal, Inc., a global leader specializing in separation technologies for blood and cell collection and therapy, in the sale of Fenwal to Fresenius Kabi
- Represented a major hedge fund in successfully negotiating a technology license and service agreement with a trading signal provider
- Advised a leading semiconductor company in connection with various cross-border licensing negotiations and patent asset sales related to advanced semiconductor wafer products
- Represented Seekeeper, Inc. in inter partes reviews (IPR2017-01996, IPR2017-01931) for patents related to cooling apparatus for boats; all IPRs terminated following preliminary response
- Managed a complex patent portfolio for a networking company, growing a diverse portfolio that was subsequently acquired by a major defense contractor
- Advised a manufacturer and supplier of intraoperative neuromonitoring (IONM) devices in connection with threats of infringement. Helped identify non-infringement positions, invalidity positions, and design-arounds that led to favorable settlement
Rate : $$$