Reid F. Herlihy provides regulatory and transactional advice for clients on a range of issues involving state and federal consumer finance laws. Reid counsels mortgage companies, servicers, consumer finance companies, financial institutions, investment banks, debt collectors, and secondary-market investors on state and federal regulatory compliance issues.
Reid regularly counsels clients on issues regarding the CFPB’s Mortgage Servicing Rules, advertising, fair debt collection, lending and servicing disclosures, loss mitigation, foreclosure procedures, and business practices. He also assists clients with state and federal examination issues and regulatory actions.
Reid assists clients with meeting state and federal licensing and approval requirements, including those related to stock and asset acquisitions. He has extensive experience with the SAFE Act and has counseled numerous mortgage companies, servicers, and third-party service providers on implementing those requirements.
He frequently prepares multistate regulatory surveys and analyses on a wide range of matters concerning residential mortgage lending, brokering, and servicing, and assists companies in implementing new laws and regulations.
Reid is author of the “Fair Debt Collection Practices Act” chapter of Mortgage Finance Regulation Answer Book 2011-2012, published by the Practising Law Institute.
Representative Matters :
- Counseled several mortgage servicers on compliance and implementation issues under the CFPB’s Mortgage Servicing Rules
- Counseled a top-10 lender regarding foreclosure compliance issues on a nationwide scale, in connection with a federal regulatory investigation; conducted research and analysis on federal and state foreclosure requirements and related issues
- Advised a national mortgage servicer on implementing SAFE Act requirements for its loss mitigation activities; provided analysis and prepared a multistate strategy for complying with the new requirements
- Assisted a third-party service provider with meeting new regulatory and licensing requirements under the SAFE Act; performed research and analysis regarding the applicability of the new requirements; managed the licensing process
- Drafted and revised regulatory compliance procedures and policies for a mortgage lenders and mortgage servicers
- Counseled a national mortgage servicer regarding compliance with FDCPA and state debt collection requirements
- George Mason University School of Law (J.D. 2006)
- Case Comments Editor, Federal Circuit Bar Journal
- College of William & Mary (B.S. 2002)
ADMISSIONS : Georgia, District of Columbia
Rate : $$$