René L. Siemens is a nationally recognized insurance coverage practitioner who represents policyholders in negotiations and disputes with their insurers. He also handles complex product liability, mass tort, environmental, and consumer cases.
With over 20 years’ experience representing policyholders, his practice encompasses a wide range of insurance issues including environmental, natural disaster, asbestos, nuclear and product liability claims; privacy, cyber attack, event cancellation, property and business interruption losses; disputes under D&O and professional liability policies; and claims under many specialty coverages.
Clients also frequently consult Mr. Siemens on complex underwriting and risk management issues, including drafting and negotiating insurance policy contracts, risk transfer provisions in corporate transactions, structuring captive insurance and reinsurance programs, and claims presentation to insurers, captives, and their reinsurers.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1995
- University of Oxford, D.Phil., 1990
- University of Oxford, Bac. Phil., 1985
- University of Winnipeg, 1983
Bar Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
Representative Matters :
- Lead counsel for aerospace company prosecuting coverage claims against more than thirty insurers for response costs incurred to remediate former defense production sites (Whittaker Corporation v. National Union Fire Ins. Co., et al., Los Angeles Superior Court).
- Won summary judgment that a $75 million environmental “cost cap” and pollution legal liability insurance policy had been wrongfully cancelled, resulting in a policy-limits recovery from the insurer and recoveries from the premium finance lender and insurance broker involved in the transaction (Steadfast Ins. Co. v. Whittaker Corp., Los Angeles Superior Court).
- Lead counsel in successful prosecution of bad-faith claims under “cost cap” and pollution legal liability policies on behalf of the former owner of 1000-acre brownfield site (Chubb Custom Ins. Co. v. AISLIC, et al.; AISLIC v. Chubb Custom Ins. Co., Los Angeles Superior Court).
- Helped secure landmark appellate rulings affirming California policyholders’ right to “stack” multiple years of insurance policies to cover continuing property damage claims under general liability policies (State of California v. Continental Ins. Co., California Court of Appeal (amicus)).
- Represent major real estate developer in prosecuting mold coverage claims under environmental cost cap policy.
- Advised numerous real estate developers and manufacturers in structuring, negotiating, and presenting claims under “cost cap,” pollution legal liability, and other specialized environmental insurance policies for contaminated properties.
- Lead counsel for defense contractor in prosecution of coverage claims for asbestos liability (Northrop Grumman Systems Corp. v. Allianz Underwriters Ins. Co., et al., U.S. District Court, Central District of California).
- Lead counsel for two of the world’s largest chemical distribution companies in securing insurance recoveries for thousands of claims for nationwide asbestos liabilities.
Memberships and Affiliations :
- Fellow of American College of Coverage & Extracontractual Counsel
- Law360, Editorial Advisory Board (2011)
- Western Center on Law and Poverty, former Member of the Board of Directors
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Risk and Insurance Management Society
Rate : $$$