Renee Cipriano provides environmental strategic planning and counseling around statutory and regulatory requirements, enforcement and compliance. Her past experience as Director of the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, the Governor of Illinois’ Senior Advisor on Environment and Natural Resources, Associate Director and Chief Counsel of the IEPA, and Assistant Attorney General provide her with a valuable perspective into the complexity of government policy. She has been frequently recognized as one of the country’s top lawyers in the environmental field.
Renee is a trusted adviser with a creative approach to problem solving. She believes that there is a solution to every problem, and that a well-timed step back and a fresh look at the issue — as well as every available option — can be crucial. She knows from experience that often a policy change, a change in law, or a small compromise can yield cost-effective and timely results.
Renee helps corporations and manufacturers assess legislative, regulatory and policy initiatives that affect their project development plans and business strategy. She goes above and beyond simply telling her clients what approvals or permits are needed; instead, she analyzes and determines the most effective ways to move the business objective forward, whether the plan involves reaching out to the community, the media, third parties or legislators.
Her practice includes a heavy emphasis on government relations and public law and policy, as well as third party litigation and challenges, with a thorough understanding of the legal landscape in Illinois as well as other states throughout the country.
She has extensive experience handling:
- Federal, state and local government approvals and local siting
- Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) and air permitting
- National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permitting
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers 404 permitting/401 certification
- Federal and state government enforcement actions
- Clean Air Act (CAA) and Clean Water Act (CWA) Citizen Suits and Third Party Challenges
- Federal and State rulemaking and legislation
- Public hearings and community outreach
- Situational and crisis management
Renee is a Fellow of the American College of Environmental Lawyers and serves on the Board of Directors of the Environmental Law Institute.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 1988
- Loyola University Chicago, B.A., Sociology, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- American College of Environmental Lawyers, Fellow
- American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, Special Committee on Section, Division and Forum Coordination
- Environmental Council of the States, Alumni Association Member
- Environmental Law Institute, Board of Directors
- Innsbrook Institute, Board of Directors
- Justinian Society of Lawyers
- Maryville Academy, President’s Circle
Rate : $$$