Renee C. Manson counsels clients on employee relations issues, terminations, employee discipline, and wage and hour compliance. She also advises clients on compliance with federal and state labor laws and regulations, including the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. Renee assists with internal investigations into allegations of discrimination, employee misconduct, and harassment.
Renee also advises higher education clients on compliance with Title IX of the amendments to the Higher Education Act, the Violence Against Women Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, in addition to advising on matters relating to student conduct and developing and interpreting institutional policies and procedures.
While in law school, Renee worked as a law clerk in the Albemarle County Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office, where she conducted bench trials, negotiated plea deals and conducted preliminary hearings.
She also served as a summer law clerk in the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of California, researching and drafting appellate briefs, pre-sentencing reports, and motions on border-related crimes, child exploitation, and gang-related crimes.
- Reviewed and drafted employee handbooks, employment policies and separation agreements.
- Defended a health care system against claims brought by a former employee alleging retaliation and interference pursuant to the Family and Medical Leave Act.
- Counseled a school district on a collective bargaining agreement and state law compliance.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a manufacturing company in a complaint brought by a former employee alleging race discrimination and retaliation.
- Assisted with an internal investigation of a university medical center relating to allegations of sexual harassment.
- Assisted with an internal investigation of a financial institution involving allegations of fraud and employee misconduct.
- Represented current and former employees of a government agency in the investigation and prosecution of its district attorney.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2016, Editorial Board – Virginia Journal of Criminal Law, Managing Board – Virginia Journal of Social Policy & the Law
- University of Pennsylvania, M.S.W, 2013
- University of California, Riverside, B.A., 2011
Bar Admissions : New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Court Admissions : U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
Rate : $$$