Rex W. Watkins is an associate in the Palo Alto office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where his practice focuses on patent procurement—both domestic and international—for life sciences, physical science, medical device, and mechanical apparatus clients.
In addition to patent drafting and prosecution, Rex has experience with freedom-to-operate analyses, validity and infringement opinions, IP due diligence, patent litigation, and licensing.
Rex has extensive technical expertise in the life sciences industry, including protein chemistry; enzymology; protein expression and purification; genetics; fluorescence; small molecule, peptide, and protein drugs; drug delivery; antisense nucleic acids; microarrays; RNA technologies; chemical synthesis; polymer chemistry; and organometallic catalysts.
He also has significant patent prosecution experience with medical devices, including vascular access technologies, stents, inflation systems, and embolics. Prior to joining the firm, Rex was a judicial extern for Judge Randall R. Radar of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
He also has experience as a research assistant at Utah State University and as an intern at a small biotechnology company.
- J.D., J. Reuben Clark Law School, Brigham Young University, 2013
- Ph.D., Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2010
- B.S., Chemistry, Utah State University, 2005
ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS:
- Committee Member and Giles Rich Moot Court Competition Liaison, Intellectual Property Section, Utah State Bar, 2015-2016
- Subcommittee Chair, Utah Innovation Awards, Biotechnology and Medical Devices, 2014-2016
- Member, American Chemical Society, 2004-2016
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Utah
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Rate : $$$