Richard A. Gray focuses his practice on Family Law. Drawing on his undergraduate and graduate degrees in psychology, Richard is sensitive to how these feelings can affect important decisions that a client is trying to make.
Knowing that divorce cannot change the past he directs his clients to the future and helps families rebuild their lives with dignity and emotional stability. Rather than spending unnecessary resources prolonging conflict, Richard works with clients to find solutions for moving forward and maintaining civility with each other, especially for the sake of children.
Richard is an experienced litigator, yet he always looks for ways of reaching an agreement outside the courtroom. By educating his clients on the full continuum of divorce options, including collaborative law, mediation and litigation, he enables them to be in control of their decisions.
Clients appreciate his one-on-one involvement with their cases and the direct access he provides. Richard listens carefully to clients’ goals and strives to achieve them. As a voice of reason he will also advise his clients if their goals are unreasonable or will cause great harm to the parties’ relationship.
A significant portion of Richard’s practice includes representation of State Department, Foreign Service Officer and World Bank employees in their family law matters.
Richard is Immediate Past President of the Fairfax, Virginia Bar Association and has been a board member since 2008. He also served as the Co-Chair of the AAML Collaborative Committee and the Rotary Club Service Chair with the Vienna, Virginia Rotary Club. Outside of law Richard’s interests are gardening, road biking, yoga and karate. He plays tennis and golf.
- New England School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts, 1987, J.D.
- George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia, Master of Arts in Psychology, 1975, M.A.
- Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia, 1973, B.S.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow (2009-Present) – Virginia Chapter
- Fairfax, Virginia Bar Association, Immediate Past President, 2017-2018
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (2009-Present)
- Northern Virginia Collaborative Professionals (2009-Present)
- Member of the Fairfax, Virginia Bar Association-Family Law Section (2000-Present)
Rate : $$$