Richard Aftanas is a corporate partner in the New York office of Kirkland & Ellis LLP. He represents issuers in a wide variety of public and private finance transactions. He has worked on numerous initial public offerings and other public and private equity securities offerings, as well as high-yield and investment grade debt offerings.
He also advises U.S. and international clients with respect to corporate and securities law matters, as well as spin-offs, debt tender offers, exchange offers and other refinancing transactions. In addition, Richard regularly advises publicly-traded corporations and their executive officers and directors on corporate governance, SEC compliance and disclosure matters.
He has been recognized as a leading capital markets lawyer by Chambers USA, The Best Lawyers in America, Chambers Global, The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America, IFLR1000 and The Legal 500 United States.
He was among the winners of the 2013 International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Awards, which recognize individual partners who excel across the full spectrum of client service.
While at Kirkland, Richard’s representative matters include:
- Amcor Ltd. in its $6.8 billion acquisition of Bemis Co.
- Sycamore Partners in a $1.0 billion high-yield offering to finance the acquisition of Staples, Inc.
- Swift Transportation in its $6 billion stock-for-stock merger with Knight Transportation.
- Huntsman Corporation in its proposed $20.0 billion merger of equals with Clariant Ltd.
- Micro Focus International plc in its $8.8 billion “Reverse Morris Trust” acquisition of Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company’s software business.
- TPG in a $150.0 million PIPE investment in Superior Industries International Inc. in connection with its acquisition of UNIWHEELS AG.
Memberships & Affiliations:
- Member, McGill University Leaders’ Advisory Board
- Secretary, Securities Regulation Committee, Association of the Bar of the City of New York, 2003–2006
Admissions & Qualifications:
- New York
- McGill University Faculty of Law, LL.B., 1994
- University of Manitoba, B.A., 1991
Rate : $$$