Richard M. Assmus has a balanced intellectual property litigation and transactional practice. He is also closely involved in intellectual property due diligence, patent and technology licensing, trademark prosecution and monitoring, copyright counseling, and advertising counseling. Richard utilizes his background in science and mathematics in connection with complex patent litigation and technology matters.
Richard’s dispute resolution experience includes patent litigation, trademark litigation in federal courts and before the US Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, copyright litigation in federal courts and before the Copyright Royalty Board, state court trade secrets litigation, and domain name litigation under the federal anti-cybersquatting act and the UDRP.
He also has significant experience advising clients regarding trademark availability; procurement and protection; trademark watch services, including Internet enforcement strategies; copyright protection, registration and enforcement; and negotiating the purchase of domain names.
There is a strong proactive emphasis in Richard’s practice, as he helps clients anticipate contractual risks, protect trade secrets through confidentiality agreements, evaluate advertisements for potential liability for false or misleading representations, and prepare effective licensing and other technology transfer agreements.
Richard also advises on professional responsibility matters, with a focus on legal conflict issues related to intellectual property matters in Mayer Brown’s offices worldwide. The 2016 edition of World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000 named Richard to their list of “The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals.” He is recognized “for his contentious and transactional skills” and “his background in science and mathematics plays well on mixed hard and soft-IP portfolio mandates.”
- The University of Michigan Law School, JD
- The University of Chicago
- District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Member, Board of Directors of Lawyers for the Creative Arts (2014 to present)
- Member, Chicago Arts Partnerships in Education (CAPE) Board, 2007-present
- Richard Linn American Inn of Court
- International Trademark Association
Rate : $$$