Richard D. Batchelder has advised Ropes & Gray clients for nearly 30 years in a wide range of complex business litigation matters before courts throughout the country. In recent years, Richard has handled a number of high profile contractual and indemnification disputes for life sciences and health care clients of the firm.
In addition, he defended TJX and Target in class action lawsuits brought by financial institutions in the wake of two of the largest data breaches in U.S. history. He has advised many of the firm’s private equity clients and their portfolio companies in numerous capacities, from analyzing litigation risk in proposed transactions to representing them in court post-acquisition.
Richard served as the firm’s hiring partner from 2011 to 2016, and was a member of the firm’s diversity committee. Richard is active in pro bono matters at the firm, including submitting amicus briefs to the Supreme Court in Barber v. Bryant, on behalf of GLAD and NCLR, Gloucester County Sch. Bd. v. G.G. on behalf of The Equality Foundation, Fisher v. University of Texas on behalf of the National Association of Basketball Coaches, and assisting in the successful appeal before the 11th Circuit in an important free speech case involving a physician’s right to discuss gun safety with their patients. Richard joined Ropes & Gray in 1991 following a federal court clerkship in Boston, and became a partner in 1999.
- JD, cum laude , Cornell Law School, 1990; Senior Editor, Cornell Law Review
- BA, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1984
- Massachusetts, 1990
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
CLERKSHIPS : Honorable Joseph L. Tauro, U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES :
- Board of Visitors, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (2015-present)
- Board of Directors, Greater Boston Legal Services (2018-present)
- Board of Directors, The Soldiers Fund (2016-Present)
- Board of Overseers, USS Constitution Museum, Charlestown, MA (2013-present)
- Member, Boston Athletic Association (organizer of Boston Marathon) (2018-present)
- Proprietor, Boston Athenaeum, Boston, MA (2013-present)
- Board of Overseers, Handel & Haydn Society, Boston, MA (2012-2017)
- Fraudulent Conveyance Action. Representing New York based private equity firm, its general partner, and limited partners in federal court action in Alabama brought by Trustee following bankruptcy of portfolio company; represented four directors in related bankruptcy court adversary proceeding.
- Martha’s Vineyard Zoning Dispute. Represented group of residents in high profile dispute brought by individuals seeking to prevent the residents from building a causeway to provide access to their properties; secured complete dismissal of all claims in two Land Court actions, a Superior Court action, and related appeals.
- Target Corp. Represented Target in putative class action brought by financial institutions against Target in United States District Court for the District of Minnesota stemming from the data security breach Target announced in December 2013.
- Genesco. Represented Genesco in lawsuit the retailer brought against Visa in United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee arising out of fines and assessments imposed by Visa following data security breach.
- Fortune 100 Insurance Company. Co-lead counsel defending class action lawsuits following criminal cyber-attack on a certain portion of the company’s computer network. Obtained complete dismissal of all claims.
- Targus, Inc. (portfolio company of Apax Partners). Lead lawyer in obtaining ruling from Massachusetts Appeals Court affirming summary judgment entered by lower court enforcing a multi-million dollar settlement agreement.
- Bain Capital. Obtained summary judgment in Delaware Chancery Court on behalf of a former portfolio company of Bain Capital in a case brought by a former shareholder of that company.
- Caspian Capital Management. Lead lawyer in a four-day trial in New York state court in a case involving the removal for cause of a portfolio manager.
Rate : $$$