Richard C. Beaulieu focuses his practice on environmental, toxic tort, and products liability litigation in both state and federal courts. Rich has represented clients from many different industry sectors in these matters, including agribusiness, waste disposal, mining, railroads, and major automobile manufacturers.
This work has allowed Rich to develop substantial expertise in class action matters, issues related to expert admissibility, and the particular substantive and procedural difficulties presented by mass tort litigation.
In addition to experience at the trial court level, Rich also has experience representing clients before appellate courts. He has represented clients on appeals in both state and federal courts, and has also crafted a number of amicus curiae briefs for both individual clients and industry groups.
Similarly, Rich’s experience is not limited to torts. Rich has represented clients from across several different industrial sectors in federal statutory environmental litigation, as well, including CERCLA, RCRA, and Clean Water Act claims.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Rich was a law clerk for Senior District Judge Robert E. Payne in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. This formative legal experience shaped Rich’s practice as an attorney, and instilled in him an appreciation for rigor and precision in confronting legal issues.
In addition to his professional pursuits, Rich has represented victims of domestic violence in a pro bono capacity through the firm’s relationship with Central Virginia Legal Aid Society. Rich has also acted as a coach for the University of Richmond Law School’s mock trial team, and is active in both the Virginia and Federal Bar Associations.
- Summary judgment granted in two consolidated products liability class actions against a major automobile manufacturer in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Counsel to a product manufacturer in RICO suits against asbestos plaintiffs’ counsel in cases brought in the Western District of North Carolina and Central District of California
- Defense of major agricultural company in a series of nuisance- and environmental-actions in Missouri. A two-week trial of one of those cases in 2011 resulted in a defense verdict.
- Representation of a major mining and metals company in a dispute with the Environmental Protection Agency concerning alleged lead contamination in Nebraska.
- Counsel to a major railroad corporation in a fraud and RICO suit alleging that a plaintiff’s firm had filed thousands of baseless lawsuits against it.
- Representation of a major waste disposal company in a contract dispute with a Virginia hospital that concluded with a favorable settlement.
- Cornell University Law School, JD, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, General Editor, Cornell Law Review, 2008
- Clemson University, BA, Political Science, summa cum laude, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Committee Vice Chair, ABA Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources, 2013-2014
- Vice Chair for Programs, ABA Environmental Litigation and Toxic Torts Committee
- Member, Virginia Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
Rate : $$$$