Richard J. Cromwell is a trial lawyer who has taken more than 100 cases to verdict in numerous federal and state courts, including many in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, where he clerked for the Hon. J. Calvitt Clarke Jr. from 1989 – 1990.
Richard focuses on complex civil litigation, including business and contract disputes, bankruptcy adversary proceedings, product liability, toxic torts, and significant fiduciary and estate matters.
- Representation and defense of a metal building company in a $500 million alleged negligence and warranty action involving the collapse of a private jet airport hangar.
- Representation and defense of a utility in a $75 million catastrophic personal injury case arising out of contact with an overhead high voltage power line.
- Representation and defense of a police officer in a high exposure, highly publicized federal civil rights action arising out of a fatal shooting.
- Representation of automobile manufacturers in alleged negligence, warranty and defect product liability actions.
- George Mason University School of Law, JD, Member and Editor-in-Chief, George Mason University Law Review, 1989
- The College of William & Mary, BA, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Member, Defense Research Institute, Trial Tactics Committee
- Member, Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
- Member, Tidewater Federal Bar Association
- Member, Virginia Bar Association, Civil Litigation Committee
Rate : $$$