Richard (Rick) Fenton has practiced for 40 years in the field of complex commercial, insurance, real estate and business litigation. Rick is the chair of Dentons’ national appellate practice.
Rick is a member of the Bar of Illinois, the United States Supreme Court, the United States Courts of Appeals for the Second, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits, the United States District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois, the Southern District of Indiana and the Eastern District of Wisconsin, and the United States Tax Court. Rick also has been admitted pro hac vice in numerous state and federal jurisdictions.
Rick has broad experience litigating and trying a wide variety of commercial disputes in both trial and appellate courts, including securities, product liability, ERISA, antitrust, RICO and consumer class action defense, executive compensation and employment litigation, fiduciary liability, misappropriation of trade secrets and proprietary information, insurance coverage, insurance bad faith and general business litigation.
Rick also has extensive experience in the area of real estate litigation, and has tried a broad range of cases in both bench and jury trial settings arising out of the sale, purchase and financing of real estate projects on behalf of owners, developers, purchasers, lenders and investors.
Rick also has represented clients in regulatory and internal investigations in the securities, employee benefit and corporate governance areas, and has extensive experience representing clients in mediation and arbitration proceedings.
- University of Chicago, 1978, JD
- University of Chicago, 1975, BA, with honors, Political Science, Recipient, Goettler Political Institutions Award
Admissions and qualifications:
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- US Supreme Court
Representative past and current clients:
- Allstate Insurance Company
- Beijing New Building Material (Group) Co., Ltd.
- Simon Property Group
- McDonald’s Corporation
- Jones Lang LaSalle
- Chas. Levy Circulating Company/Levy Home Entertainment
- Great West Insurance Company
- The Central Bank of Uruguay
- Universal Underwriters Insurance Company
Memberships : Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
Rate : $$$$