Richard Franchek is involved in a wide variety of environmental regulatory matters that include issues associated with air emissions, wastewater discharges, storm water runoff, wetlands, NEPA compliance, solid/hazardous waste, and water rights.
Due to his background in resource management with the Natural Resource Conservation Service, Richard is able to incorporate practical experience in addressing the client’s regulatory needs.
Richard has extensive experience in NEPA compliance for transportation projects, including all aspects of environmental assessment (EA), environmental impact statement (EIS) and permit review; environmental due diligence reviews for mergers and acquisitions (including oil and gas facilities, and pipelines); the acquisition, transfer, and modification of water rights; property development; wetlands mitigation; and agency coordination.
He has overseen and coordinated the development of structured air, water, and waste permit applications for manufacturing, industrial, and waste disposal facilities; facilitated compliance auditing; and prepared facility compliance programs.
Richard’s experience extends not only to identifying environmental risk but directing and coordinating the cleanup of contaminated properties in many different jurisdictions across the United States.
- Wetlands and other Waters of the U.S. Experience – Mr. Franchek has extensive experience in counseling clients and acquiring permits for projects impacting “waters of the U.S.” This experience includes projects located in multiple states, including Texas, Massachusetts, California, and Louisiana. He has also represented clients creating mitigation banks that have been approved by the Corps of Engineers.
- Air Experience – Mr. Franchek has overseen and managed permit applications for air authorizations in both attainment and non-attainment areas throughout the United States. These air authorizations have included individual permits, Title V permits, construction permits, standard permits, de minimis permits, and permits-by-rule. He has also evaluated major facilities for compliance with air regulations on both the state and federal level.
- Environmental Due Diligence – Mr. Franchek has directed environmental due diligence reviews for major acquisitions across the United States. This experience includes air, water, wastewater, and waste regulatory reviews, and the negotiation and preparation of environmental components to stock purchase and asset purchase agreements. Examples of industries represented include electric generating facilities, solid waste facilities, oil and gas facilities, pipelines, and industrial facilities.
- Environmental Cleanups – Mr. Franchek has represented many corporations and individuals before regulatory agencies in the cleanup of contaminants released into the environment. He has extensive experience in voluntary cleanup programs in many different jurisdictions.
Professional History :
- Associate, Fisher & Newsom, P.C. (1995 – 1998)
- Conservationist and Supervisor, Natural Resource Conservation Service (1982 – 1992)
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, Dallas Bar Association, Environmental Section
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- J.D., with honors, The University of Texas School of Law, 1994
- M.S., Environmental Science, Texas Christian University, 1991
- B.S., summa cum laude, Texas A&M University, 1981
Admissions : Texas, 1995
Rate : $$$