Consistently sought out to handle urgent commercial matters and workplace disputes throughout the country that require coordinated strategies for protecting business concerns while safeguarding enterprise interests and public relations, Richard Gerakitis uses considerable skill to provide devoted advocacy, advice and access.
Richard is a partner in the labor and employment practice and handles a variety of complex commercial litigation matters. He has more than 35 years of experience in litigation, mediation and arbitration. Richard handles all types of employment matters, representing management in both union and nonunion settings.
His specialties include trade secret claims; noncompetition covenants; employee breach of fiduciary duty claims; individual and class actions involving Title VII sex discrimination, religious discrimination and race discrimination claims; age discrimination claims; retaliation claims; Sections 1981 and 1983 civil rights claims; Fair Labor Standards Act, workplace safety (OSHA), Sarbanes-Oxley and other whistleblower statutes; and disability discrimination claims. He also represents employers and employees in the negotiation of employment contracts.
Richard has been recognized in several notable publications for many years, including The Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, PLC Cross-Border Handbooks and Georgia Trend magazine’s Legal Elite. He serves on the 10-member Advisory Board for the CCH Employment Law Daily.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Member, Labor and Employment and Trial Practice sections, State Bar of Georgia
- Member, Labor and Employment and Litigation sections, Atlanta Bar Association
- Member, Old War Horse Lawyers Club (2004-present)
- Member, Board of Directors (2008-present); Executive Committee and Compensation Committee (2014-present), Metropolitan Atlanta YMCA
- Member (1983-present), President (1994-1995; 2012-2013), Rotary Club of Atlanta – West End
- Member, Mercer University – Walter F. George School of Law Board of Visitors (2012-2018)
- Director, Northside Youth Organization (1994-1999)
- Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law, J.D.
- University of Georgia, B.A., magna cum laude
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia
Rate : $$$